Aircraft initialization failure

Gee, I guess I have to lean on you guys for some help here. Yesterday I was ading a couple A/C to FS9 and have run into an error called "Aircraft initialization failure." This is a pretty serious error because now FS9 will not start up. Anyone who has a method for troubleshooting this issue would be very welcome!

I think that some FS98 components got in there by my own fault. I think I am now going through withdrawls because I am now officially GROUNDED!

Yikes Crying or Very sad

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

I posted the "Aircraft initialization failure" trouble report from a remote computer and so it came up as an anonymous post. Just wanted to indicate a point of contact in terms of who is posting.

As I mentioned this error is serious as FS9 will not start.

Thanks gents.

Pro Member First Officer

For anyone who is having this problem I have found a tool and a site that offers help.

There is a tool (freeware) here that manages add-ons to Microsoft Flight Simulator. Using this "easy to" Wizard - FSM (FlightSim Manager) can install aircraft, panels, textures and scenery directly from distribution ZIP files you may have downloaded. Also includes an option for proper uninstallation of add-ons.

In addition there is an easy to use Aircraft Editor to add or remove aircraft variants and a comprehensive hangar management option allows you to manage and configure your add-ons for live FS installation.

You will also be able to run diagnostic checks for FS9 and FS2002, make adjustments and create your own virtual fleets. -For serious pilots, FSM also offers a complete Logbook. 🙂

Last edited by George (OrlandoGeorge) on Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:30 pm, edited 8 times in total
Pro Member First Officer

FIX:

If anyone is experiencing or unfortunately happens to to incur the 'Aircraft Initialization Failure' error going forward, I have found a solution to it. The cause of this failure remains quite frankly undetermined but having said that there is a simple fix.

If you get this error, it will be necessary to go to the Tool Bar and then to 'documents' and delete 'Flight Simulator Files.' This is where the temp. saved flights are stored and where details of the last flight are stored. Even though 'saved flights' seems to have nothing to do with installation or initialization error, it is still necessary to delete these files. -This action will execute the removal of corrupt files which are the causation.

I hope that the error ID listed in the subject section here will help anyone who experiences the same issue find this solution more easily.

Pro Member First Officer

I have sought and found one more solution to this issue for whomever seeks it. If you should receive the error: 'Aircraft Initialization Failure' the following will provide a more comprehensive fix at the actual root of the trouble.

FIX 2 -(Permanent cause root fix):

While FS is not running, the way to launch a flight is to recreate the 'Flight File,' and reset that file in the 'SITUATION' line. Also, there is another flag 'SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN' which is to be set to 0 (Zero). (Ordinarily the 'Fly Now' button sets these two items automatically and then auto launches Flight Simulator.) At this point, you will more than likley get a 'CORRUPT FILE' prompt before accessing the main menu but will be able to fly the simulator. What brings about this error is that the FS9.cfg file is still pointing to a 'SITUATION' FILE that doesn't exist and it will complain (error out) before showing you the main screen. To permanently correct this, locate the FS9.cfg file and edit it in 'NOTEPAD' to correct and end the error. Find the following two lines and set the value as written:

Line one:SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1

Line two:SITUATION=

Once you have SAVED it, that should solve the problem. 🙂

Note: If the aircraft specified in the 'SITUATION' line doesn't 'EXIST,' one reason could be because an attempt is/was being made by the user to fly a mal-created and/or incompatible A/C. If this occurs go to Internet Explorer toolbar and select 'MY DOCUMENTS.' Then delete "FLIGHT SIMULATOR FILES.' This will delete the temporary flight files held in the FS cache. Go back into the FS A/C folder, check for and delete any incompatable A/C.

Have fun flying! --If you still need help email me through Fly Away.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

I'll add my experience here.

When I began adding aircraft, I had this problem. It was WAY frusterating. I think you can go back in the post history here in flyaway and see. Anyway a couple of things:

1- NEVER save a game with an aircraft loaded that you have been jacking with. (Until it is stable and good)

2- NEVER select 'go fly' from the fly window with the aircraft you have been jacking with (installing, modifying etc.) Allways start the sim in another aircraft and then select the aircraft you have installed from the select aircraft list.

3- With the initialization error, All you have to do is: Click the FS9 icon. AS the sim is starting, hold down the keys control+shift until the first screen comes up. This will restore the FS9 .cfg file. Yeah, you will have to reset your personal preferences, but it works. Then go to explorere and either investigate the aircraft problem, or drag it out of there. (Delete).

This is how I do it. I have NOT had that initialization failure again!!!! I even try to install planes that are all but gauranteed not to work. It is a bullet proof way to do it.

ryanclemson Guest

THANK YOU TO Elkinallen AND OrlandoGeorge

You guys really saved the day with the fix to this silly little problem.
Thanks a bunch.

Ryan Clemson

Pro Member First Officer

Ryanclemson,

Glad whatever was written here could help you out. Hopefully anyone who happens on this issue will also find this thread and get some assistance.

Elkin had a great and simple solution with the two key press method at start up. Much better than the complicated fixes I posted. -Anyway, glad that things are okay with your sim!

-orlandogeorge.

jadelois (Guest) Guest

Just wanted to say THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for this fix. I almost started WEEPING after FULLY REINSTALLING flight sim and I started getting this error (an old plane I had downloaded was no longer part of the default installation, obviously - my "startup" file was pointing to this aircraft")

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Elkinallen wrote:

When I began adding aircraft, I had this problem. It was WAY frusterating. I think you can go back in the post history here in flyaway and see. Anyway a couple of things:

1- NEVER save a game with an aircraft loaded that you have been jacking with. (Until it is stable and good)

2- NEVER select 'go fly' from the fly window with the aircraft you have been jacking with (installing, modifying etc.) Allways start the sim in another aircraft and then select the aircraft you have installed from the select aircraft list.

3- With the initialization error, All you have to do is: Click the FS9 icon. AS the sim is starting, hold down the keys control+shift until the first screen comes up. This will restore the FS9 .cfg file. Yeah, you will have to reset your personal preferences, but it works. Then go to explorere and either investigate the aircraft problem, or drag it out of there. (Delete).

This is how I do it. I have NOT had that initialization failure again!!!! I even try to install planes that are all but gauranteed not to work. It is a bullet proof way to do it.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been trying to educate myself by applying tweeks to various aircraft. Have luckly not ran into this problem yet but feel it was probably only a matter of time until I did experiance it.
I have noticed that I sometimes have a hard time getting the changes I made to surface on fs9. It seems to be reading previous settings and ignoring my new changes. By restart the game and switching back and forth I finally get the changes to surface but have not found a consistant method. I think it probably has to do with a violation of your rule 1 and getting lazy with rule 2
Thanks again 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

lkw wrote:

Elkinallen wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I have been trying to educate myself by applying tweeks to various aircraft. Have luckly not ran into this problem yet but feel it was probably only a matter of time until I did experiance it.
I have noticed that I sometimes have a hard time getting the changes I made to surface on fs9. It seems to be reading previous settings and ignoring my new changes. By restart the game and switching back and forth I finally get the changes to surface but have not found a consistant method. I think it probably has to do with a violation of your rule 1 and getting lazy with rule 2
Thanks again 👍

This little epistle should be made the mandatory final paragraph of every "How to install aircraft" manual.

Umeed Guest

I just downloaded an aircraft to my flight simulator 2004 and flew that aircraft once and saved it as a default flight.Then i tried to remove that flight but it didn't remove.I closed the game and next day as i clicked on my game,i got the error"An aircraft initialization failure".I tried many times to remove this problem but it didn't remove.I re-installed this game two times and i got the same problem.Please help me solve this problem. Crying or Very sad

Roeney Guest

I had the same problem:
Aircraft Initialization Error: <aircraft name>

After uninstalling this aircraft, the error persisted. I found this topic and deleted the saved flight with this aircraft, I thought..
I then backed up my fs9 cfg file, and used ctrl+shift on startup to retrieve a new cfg file. It solved my problem, but since I didn't want to lose all my settings, I searched through the backed up (corrupted) config file.
Here is my solution:

- Open your FS9 config file (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\fs9.cfg) (Run > %appdata%)

- Search for the following line: SITUATION=<...>
(This line holds the path to your selected default flight, which is probably messed up and the cause of this error (remember the name for later removal))

- Delete the text, so that the line reads: SITUATION=

- Save and start FS9.

If the error dissapeared:
- Go to the Flight Simulator Files folder in My Documents and delete the default flight

- Either uninstall or modify the error-causing aircraft

Hope this helps!

Umeed Guest

Thank you for the support.But i tried an other way of solving the prob and finally i accomplished my mission...I just deleted all the flights that were saved in my Flight simulator files and i had never that problem again....Now i am enjoying my game again!!! 😛

Mussato Guest

4553.zxdfgjdlfog.hjàf5

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...