Question about autopilot heading

Guest Guest

Ok I usually use autopilot during flight and follow ATC headings. When I put my heading into the Autopilot the plane turns to that direction (Stating the obvious I know). The plane always seems to turn steeply and just wondering if this is normal? or is their a way to programme the autopilot to turn less steeply?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

No, there isn't. As standard, the aircraft will make a 30 degree angle of bank. If you look at the attitude indicator, it should line up with the 3rd line around the perimeter (third line from the straight vertical line). Like this:

Thats what a 30 degree bank angle looks like. If it banks more than that then you have a problem 😛

Guest Guest

Cheers

Yeah thats where its banks 30 degrees. I suppose its perfectly normal, but just gives the impression of being steep.

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

in smaller aircraft it seems bigger to me. but whne flying larger aircraft the bank seems less so.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

99jolegg, i've often wondered about this myself. Is 30deg the norm for an airliner? The reason i ask is, i was watching Flying Heavy Metal and in one episode Bruce put an Airbus into a turn like this and said if he did it in his Boeing his passengers would have a fit! I know it was probably steeper but 30degrees still seems a bit steep especially if you're sat having a No2! Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

99jolegg, i've often wondered about this myself. Is 30deg the norm for an airliner? The reason i ask is, i was watching Flying Heavy Metal and in one episode Bruce put an Airbus into a turn like this and said if he did it in his Boeing his passengers would have a fit! I know it was probably steeper but 30degrees still seems a bit steep especially if you're sat having a No2! Embarassed

Ah sorry I didn't explain myself. Yes, airliners use 30 degrees of bank when turning, but that will only be at low altitude when the seat belt sign is illuminated. When you fly in one, and are looking out the window, in a 30 degree bank, you'll more than likely be seeing just sky or just ground depending on which side you are sitting. Those sort of turns will be used in the final phases of the flight plan and the approach. Of course, a 30 degree bank of turn isn't always needed, but if it is, then it is perfectly viable and doesn't cause discomfort. Even in a little Cessna 150, 30 degrees of bank isn't uncomfortable.

At altitude it changes. Some aircraft have GPS systems (only long haul I believe) and if you watch it, at cruise altitude, you can see your prospective flight plan ahead. The layout of waypoints means you have to turn at an intersection, but if you sit there and try and feel that turn, you'll be hard pushed. Similarly, your cruise altitude goes from FL290 to FL350 without you even noticing because the climb gradient is shallow - just like the bank angle, so people having No2's would notice a thing 😉

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

99joleg is right. it kinda docks the realism stuff a bit at higher altitudes, but for what it's worth, it's not too bad.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

In bigger jets like 747 you can select the maximum angle of turn or keep it on auto for the autopilot to best choose the degree of turn...

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

if only they had a variety though. They don't have a whole lot of bank angles to get to. Get something like PMDG or Level-D, as they are the top in their class

Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

When I was flying from London-Dublin last week on a 737-800, I noticed that you cant really feel the banks of the aircraft when turning, if you dont look out the window you dont really know you are banking (you may have a slight idea if you are expecting it)

Weird eh, and when looking out the window it does look like a 30' bank turn

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

that's because you're banking at such a speed that gravity itself is holding you in your place. I've noticed that too, and it's pretty neat! 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

Welshflyer wrote:

Reminds me of Aloha Airlines flight back into Honolulu from the Big Island a couple of years ago. (Real life here). Normally (I think) airliners from the east fly south of the entire south shore of O'hau then turn 180* (don't know the back angle but it wasn't dramatic) back to line up for final on RW 8R. I watched such approaches a bunch of times while snorkling at the lagoons at Koolina on the SW corner of the island.

So, coming back from the Big Island that evening, the Aloha 737 flew west south of Koko Head, then Diamond Head, then the city, then there was the airport..... and I just figured the pilot would continue on to the west like normal. But boy howdy! I'll bet he didn't go more than 2 miles (if even that) before he cranked it into a HARD right turn. The rooftops of the houses at 'Ewa Beach looked mighty close as I looked at them down over the length of the right wing. It mighta been only 30 degrees but it was without a doubt the steepest turn I've ever experienced in a fixed wing aircraft in real life. It definitely got my attention!

I wonder if the Aloha pilots make that landing so often they get tired of making that lingering long approach that the other airliners do. Actually I swam at Ewa Beach and also at Hickam AFB's beach and watch a lot of planes land at Honolulu but never noticed any others making that short turn to RW8R.

I might have to try it myself with a sim 737 one of these days.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...