Two questions

Pro Member Trainee
FLY_Boy2006 Trainee

One is, has anybody found away to select the trim for take off in almost all the scenarios. I find that all of them have severe nose down on take off and I can't seem to find a fix. This issue has been part of FLightSim since away back.

In FS X, is there a quick way to get what used to be called a s "Chase Plane" view. In otherwords, a view from behind that used to be able to be adjusted for following about 100 ft behind.

The program works pretty well but the old issues are still there, like being unable to trim in level flight etc.. Evil or Very Mad

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Concorde105 First Officer

FLY_Boy2006 wrote:

One is, has anybody found away to select the trim for take off in almost all the scenarios. I find that all of them have severe nose down on take off and I can't seem to find a fix. This issue has been part of FLightSim since away back.

In FS X, is there a quick way to get what used to be called a s "Chase Plane" view. In otherwords, a view from behind that used to be able to be adjusted for following about 100 ft behind.

The program works pretty well but the old issues are still there, like being unable to trim in level flight etc.. Evil or Very Mad

Oh, so sad. I have FS2004 and FSX, And it sure is true.

Horse Your horse did that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Download and print this out, it should give you the keystrokes to do that.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1333/fsx-controls-keyboard-commands/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
FLY_Boy2006 Trainee

THANX - - Very informative and I printed them out. 😛

I was wondering if there was a method to change the trim via the configuration file. If you fly a float plane and you find that it is difficult to take off (break away from the water) I bet that 90% of the time it is the trim being set to nose down.

Even in some of the cessna planes you can see the trim wheel but there is really no way to see where it is at.

I owned a Cessna 150 quite a few years ago and I would like to get one for Flight Sim X.. Any ideas Idea

VonKyrin Guest

I’m not sure I’m the best person to answer this since I have plenty of problems with trim of my own (but mostly just once in the air). But I can’t resist. Lol

If you right click on the screen during play, you should see a popup menu that allows you to select view point. There are two cockpit views and one of them has an extra set of buttons that allows you to pull up certain controls such as the radios, the throttle, and the trim. The other cockpit view allows you to “turn your head” and look around, where you can turn to look at the trim controls.

With either of these settings you can use the mouse to alter the trim as long as the mouse isn’t set to yoke control.

My joy stick actually has two buttons that are mapped to pitch trim by default.

I imagine that there are some keyboard keys for trim as well but I’m not sure what they would be.

I’ve been playing FS-X for about a week now and have not noticed any problem with trim starting out. I would be more inclined to think that the problem described is that the joy stick is not properly calibrated. Double check that before trying to adjust trim.

On the trim control display you can see when things are “centered”. I don’t know, but I would think starting out with everything centered is probably the best way to go.

Also, if you manage to get it line out once, you can save the game by hitting the semi-colon key. I’ve been inclined to taxi my plane to my favorite hanger (near home), kill the engine, and save the game, so that I can have a default game start that has the plane sitting on my home taxi way with the engines off.

Oh, and one last thing. I was confused on the first training mission; I found out the hard way that that glider has no rudder, so rudder controls will do nothing except steer on the ground.

Good luck and good flying!

Matt001 Guest

My problems with trim have only ever been associated with control sensitivity, and that's a battle I have with my joystick calibration and FSX control settings, particularly in pitch sensitive aircraft like the Baron (although recent advice from CRJCapt has helped me a quite a bit in that area).

*Having said that, however, I don't usually have any problems with working out what trim setting an aircraft has at a given time. Some jet aircraft like the Lear 45 display the current trim setting on the MFD or PFD, others like the Mooney Bravo have a simple mechanical metered display which shows the trim setting, and with aircraft like the Cessna 172, all you need to do is hold your mouse over the trim wheel (no clicking needed) and a label will appear which includes the current trim setting (for example, -0.6 or whatever). I find this latter method particularly useful in the the Piper Cub where you have no flaps and only the trim crank handle to configure the plane's attitude. I'm not sure about the Goose though, I'll have to check that one out.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt

Pro Member Trainee
FLY_Boy2006 Trainee

With all the emphasis on new items in FSX, it sure would be nice to adress an issue like trim that has been on the bitch list for years.

Like I said, even in a real Cessna 150, if you set the trim to severe nose down as a test, you really have to haul back on the stick to break ground. I am talking about a real plane which I trained on.

So as far as I am concerned all aircraft should be set to a slight pitch up when being loaded. I use a Microsoft Sidewinder and it is calibrated correctly or at least is shows okay.

I remember very clearly in talking to Microsoft in 2002 and they said that trim was an issue and they were addressing it back then and I see no changes.

I would like somebody to try the 172 craft and take off and don't touch the trim (numeric 1 and 7 key) and tell me what it does. If it doen't pitch down then I have to look elsewhere but my money is, it will crash.

Pro Member Trainee
kbohme Trainee

i fly the turbo otter found in the download section.
it has a " dot " that shows the trim settings and the trim works like a charm.
I can set it up for handfree take offs and trim my flight airbourne like a charm.

I've no idea if its an airplane cfg thing, but if it is perhaps that plane cfg file will help you figure it out.

I'm way to dumb to do that kinda thing 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...