180-degree turn question

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

In real life, is it possible for a jumbo jet say an Airbus A380 to make a 180-degree turn and line up with the runway bout 2 miles away? The airport I built in SimCity 3000 Unlimited has mountains to the north and the east of the airport with downtown located right next to it in the west, so there isn't much room to establish the approach paths on a final 180-degree turn to the left or the right. If I had a photo of it you would know what I mean. 😕

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

In real life, is it possible for a jumbo jet say an Airbus A380 to make a 180-degree turn and line up with the runway bout 2 miles away?

No, not even a Boeing 737. You would want a 3-5 mile final. At two miles, you want to be at about 600 feet AGL. That's pretty low to turn. You might physically do it but the airlines would never allow it. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I see what you mean. I'm planning to build a bigger, better airport on an artificial island in the sea just south of my city and I'm going to close my old airport as well. I won't build it in SimCity 3000 Unlimited though because it's literally going to be off the map. I'll just put my ideas and drawings on paper instead.

Last edited by KevinTsai on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

You know, in SimCity 3000 Unlimited my old airport I built by using a cheat is almost like Kai Tak airport. Only it has 16 runways in total with 10 main runways and 6 crosswind runways. Plus, some other ways to land there is to go through a pass north of my city heading south, or approaching in from the southwest flying over apartment buildings either landing on the crosswind runways or make a 90-degree turn to the right to land on the main runways. Very complicated and challenging approaches! 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

16 runways is alot 😳

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

a little off topic. Im a big fan of Sim City! Is Sim City 3000 Unlimited newer than SC4?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

brownbox wrote:

a little off topic. Im a big fan of Sim City! Is Sim City 3000 Unlimited newer than SC4?

I believe SC4 is newer than 3000 Unlimited.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...