Help with Procedure Turns....

Pro Member First Officer
Greg (FL050) First Officer

Well, I don't know hardly anything about Procedure Turns but I am trying to learn. Procedure Turn is just a way of entering a holding pattern, right?

I am supposed to go outbound on a VOR from 310 Radial and then supposed to execute a 45/180 proc. turn and then intercept a 130 inbound radial back to the same VOR.

To be honest, I have no idea how to do this.

I had been reading about proc. turn's a little bit in the Lesson Guides but it still doesn't clear much up for me. From my understanding, I will fly outbound of the VOR at 310 for a period of time, or distance from the VOR, and make a 45 (to 355) degree turn to the right, fly on 355 for 1 minute, then make a 180-degree turn to intercept the 130 inbound radial.

Is that even remotely close?

I'm looking for any advice I can get, or help, with doing this manuever, so please respond. I've been trying to learn this for a while but can't get it down. 😞

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

See if these diagrams help.

Guest Ed Guest

FL050 wrote:

I had been reading about proc. turn's a little bit in the Lesson Guides but it still doesn't clear much up for me.

Instead of reading a little bit, try going through the entire lesson. Rod will take you through it step-by-step.

Ed

Don Wood Guest

I agree with the advice previously given.

To clear up a little confusion in your question, a Procedure Turn is not a method for entering a holding pattern, it is a method for getting a pilot safely established on the in-bound course of an instrument landing procedure.

While some of the maneuvers to enter a holding pattern may look similar, they are different. Thre are three ways to enter holding, depending on your arrival course and the courses to be flown. There is only one way to fly a procedure turn. The only thing that varies are the headings.

Pro Member First Officer

Guest Ed wrote:

FL050 wrote:

I had been reading about proc. turn's a little bit in the Lesson Guides but it still doesn't clear much up for me.

Instead of reading a little bit, try going through the entire lesson. Rod will take you through it step-by-step.

Ed

I did that, but he doesn't enter the pattern in the way a procedure turn is normally done.

But since a proc. turn isn't a way to enter a holding pattern, there is no lessons on proc. turns.

Don Wood Guest

I haven't done the FS9 training courses but I would guess there would be no separate lessons on procedure turns. Instead, that instruction would be included in the lesson(s) on non-precision IFR approaches (VOR, ADF, etc).

SoCalRick Guest

But since a proc. turn isn't a way to enter a holding pattern, there is no lessons on proc. turns.

Actually, procedure turns are covered in "Lesson 1: The VOR Approach" under the Instrument Pilot section (in FS2004 anyway).

Don was right once again. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Well after practicing them for a while and doing the lesson several times, I think I got them down pretty well.

Thanks for the help

jkheavy Guest

ok I will go through my last vor approach to give a good idea of what the approach is and how i thought the approach through. at 3000 ft winds were from 100 degrees at 20 kts. and the surface winds were 120 at 15 kts. the cieling was 1500 agl with light chop which is 380 feet above the decision hieght. I was coming in to the airport environment from the west so I had to do a tear drop intercept to get on course before I could start my procedure turn so heres how I did it. I started the tear drop intercept at 3000 ft. once my vor needle was at a 90 degree angle from my path I started my time to fly outbound 1 minute (the trick is to reintercept the inbound radial of 093 outbound). once I reached 1 minute I turned to a heading of 048 for one minute. now the reason you have to know the wind directionand speed is to figure out when are you going to intercept the inbound course. so once i reached my 1 minute point here I started to descend from 3000 ft to 2000 ft which is the lowest i can go at this point. and I turned to a heading of 060 which when i got to 060 I started intercepting the 093 radial so i just kept turning to 093 once established i flew the radial inbound until my vor needle flipped behind me (i passed the vor) at this point I start my time and descend from 2000 ft to 1140 ft which is my decision hieght. the time at 90 knots according to the approach plate was 2 minutes and 28 secondstill dh which was close, not much wind. I broke out of the clouds about 2100 msl so i could see the airport and finish the approach with no problem. one thing to remember is if your holding an exact heading on your approach more time then not you will have to correct your heading because the winds at the lower level will be different then at higher. hope this helps

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...