How to assign joystick buttons ?

Pro Member Trainee
Jerry Porter (Jerry62) Trainee

Hi all, I am new to FS2004 but an old pilot and am having trouble trying to set up the buttons so I can have elevator trim etc on my joystick, it works fine and the hat moves the point of view. Hope you can point me to a tutorial.
also is there a Culver Cadet for FS as I used to own one. thanks jerry

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Jerry62 wrote:

Hi all, I am new to FS2004 but an old pilot and am having trouble trying to set up the buttons so I can have elevator trim etc on my joystick, it works fine and the hat moves the point of view. Hope you can point me to a tutorial.
also is there a Culver Cadet for FS as I used to own one. thanks jerry

Welcome aboard Jerry62, 🍻 always good to see a new member. The way/pattern that you set up your controls mostly personal preference, there are hundreds of controller. If you state your controller type I can give you my opinion(if I can find a picture).

Here is the Culver Cadet http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004ac&DLID=39383
It's at www.avsim.com. That's a great site to search for free aircraft, registration is FREE(that's my price). 🙂

Pro Member Trainee

CRJCapt

Thanks on the Cadet, Almost the same paint job as mine was,
also found a Taylorcraft like the one that I took my first flight training and soloed with 6 lessons in back in the 60's.

the joystick is a Logitech with 12 buttons and twist for rudder but I don't know the model #.

I found the page in FS where the assignments are listed but do not know how to insert new ones to get the buttins to work.

Thanks Jerry

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I'm assuming you have the Logitech 3D Pro. Load and calibrate your controller in Windows, if not installed.

Go to The Learning Center(LC) within Flight Simulator and that will describe the key assignment procedure. One in the LC, go to [Index][the letter C][Controlling][Aircraft] Read using the joystick.

Button Assignments
1. Elevator trim up- button 3
2. Elevator trim Dn- button 5
Set the repeat for both to 1/2 travel
You want these assignment easy to reach, near your thumb.

3. Flaps Dn incrementally- button 4
4. Flaps Up incrementally- button 6
Repeat set to 0 travel or none

5. Brakes(apply/Release)- button 2
Repeat set 1/2 travel

These are just to get you started. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee

That picture looks right, says X3D on sitck. picked it up used. I think that will get me started.

I am new to this sim stuff, I got a PS2, a TV and made a frame for a steering wheel and pedles with an old car bucket seat for the grandson to play car racing on GT4.
Will have to admit I like that also, so I thought sience I had done some flying I might try FS. (had to quit real flying do to an inner ear problem)
Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for the help, Jerry

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Merry Christmas and welcome to fly away 🙂 🙂 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

welcome to flyaway!

yeah, I've got that same joystick, and it works great. But the only downside is it's not completely realistic, and it can sometimes loose calibration. no major problems tho. let us know if you need anything else.

Pro Member Trainee

How about this,
Got the buttons on the joystick working,
Got the Culver Cadet loaded and flying,
even found the old gras strip I used to fly out of.
Thanks for all the help. Jerry

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...