TRUE OR FALSE - "AutoRotate"

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

TRUE OR FALSE :-

"Most modern Airliners have the CAT 3 AutoLand system, which receives VHF signals broadcast from "ILS" tranmitters next to Runways at major Airports and which,
using these signals, can effect a fully Automatic LANDING, including Aircraft Flare and Throttle Retard........ However, Airbus are developing a new technology known as
"AutoRotate" which for the first time will effect a fully Automatic TAKE-OFF roll of the Aircraft. The system uses programmed V1 (Decision Speed) and VR (Rotate Speed)
settings to automatically rotate the Aircraft for take-off, then maintain the Climb angle to a desired altitude. The technology also maintains Runway Tracking during
acceleration towards rotation".

------------------------------------

Your comments please Ladies & Gentlemen

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

The CAT 3 stuff is correct.

I have heard the rumors about the auto rotate before, but the problem is that it is one more step that you would have to disengage if you had a critical engine failure.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Autoland has been about for years,I can remember a TV programme about it fiited to a BA Trident I think(not sure if it ever got passed)

Idea You just know what they are going to say

Auto takeoff Umm... we dont need pilots anymore

Fear

Pro Member First Officer

Computer can't replace humans.

When was the last time you heard of a human rebooting unexpectedly for....

Sorry..just rebooted! 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

I think if they come out with one more auto-crap thing i'm gonna shoot something. Fine, Autoland, I can see why you would need it. But all we're doing is turning our fine pilots into pussy-robot flyers. Now, Autopilot is great in big jets and small aircraft alike. However, Autorotate takes it waaaaaayyyy too far! What if you needed to abort, do they have a auto-flipout-piss yourself too?

gosh Mad

Pro Member First Officer

Here is one for ya.

RVSm goes into effect Jan 1 (I think).

Currently, none of our aicraft in the USAF are equipped with the proper instrumentation/equip to be compliant. If the USAF can't afford to do it, how is an airline that is struggling to get along supposed to?

The FAA is taking leaps toward doing away with VOR's and TACANS.

Go to your local aiport and see how many GA planes have a CERTIFIED IFR GPS. Lots of pilots with IFR ratings are going to be sitting on the ground in days where it is IMC.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Wow, some great (strong!) views.... and I agree with all....

The True or False bit wasn't talking about the AutoLand - we all know that's out there as most of us have used it on the Sim... but AutoRotate... one wonders why Airbus would waste R&D resource on this development - what will it bring to Aviation ?

It won't bring added safety, it won't really reduce Pilot workload as Take-off roll is short and sweet..... I'd imagine the only benefit would be a tiny fuel efficiency saving from the aircraft using the most effective climb paramters, according to fuel and payload.... but take-off and initial climb only lasts minutes, so surely the fuel saving wouldn't offset the Research and Development costs !!

This article came from an unreliable Internet source and may be an Aviation Urban MYTH !!

Let's hope so - I love technology but have no interest in Planes that don't need to be flown by pilots.

😉

Auotomated take off mmmmmmm OK I can live with the idea. Think about this though. CAT3 vis is less than 50m for example. How the **** do you taxi to the active? even following a "follow me" truck would be unsafe! If there was an incident on the r/w fire services would not know. Guess they said the same about autoland. Let me ask the navigator....he's gone! I will ask the flight engineer.....not there either! Hostie is now a machine that accepts 50p only and the FO is a monkey that hits me when I touch anything.
Godspeed
Paul

Pro Member First Officer

I resemble that Navigator comment.

There are still some of us around, although just in the military side.

You won't find a pilot around that wants to fly 200 feet off the ground at 240 kts in a Herc without a Navigator.

If you do, then I don't wanna fly with 'em.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...