Some stick time

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Hi all...haven't posted in a long time. Haven't been FSimming much either but I thought I'd share this with you...

This past weekend I had the pleasure of riding in the right seat of a 1968 Mooney (http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=286)...Sonoma to Truckee, CA (Lake Tahoe). Up Friday evening (1 hr), back Sunday evening (1h20m). On the return I was given control for most of the cruise portion of the flight, (FL 10,500, 140 kts) steering a GPS track. Commercial airliners descending into Sacramento, perpendicular to my course at 5000...what a rush! Hadn't flown for real in 7 years.

Both flights were smooth as silk in gorgeous late afternoon/twilight conditions. Arrived Sonoma just after sunset to gusty crosswinds forcing my pilot to hit the power hard twice on the flare-out. Got us down just fine, though he was grumbling a bit ("That sucked.")

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It was beautiful weather for that and your experience makes me drool Drool now you have to get back to real life like us and the Sim.

Great story thanks for sharing it with us. 👍

Radar

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Wow, that was so good to read, I could almost get a feel for the lovely sound of the Mooney Engines and the fab view that you must have had!

I'm dying to try out flying for real... I am Insulin Dependent Diabetic, so I don't know if I can ever get a Private Pilot License (anyone got any ideas on that ?).... But I have never ever had a disabling diabetic episode as I control my diabetes mega strictly..... so I am ok for a "Trail Lesson" which are offered in the UK for about £75 for one hour and where you can take control of cruise during the 45 min flight .... that would be fab but I would also love to experiance the exhilleration of Take-off and the utter concentration levels needed for landing!

Great story - would love to hear more 'real GA' flying sotries from people.

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

My friend with the Mooney also has a WWII-era Ryan trainer in his hangar... a lovely silver bird, open cockpit, front and back seat, stick & rudder tail-dragger...

Next mission is to get my hands on that beauty.... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Open cockpit Surprised The wind in my hair,bugs in my face.............OK,OK just the bugs in my face Doh!

Please let us know if you do get your lucky hands on it 😁

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...