Descending to Approach using FMC

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

Greetings one and all,

After weeks of trying to figure out how to program the FMC and fly from point A to point B, I was able to program the FMC, take off and let the computer fly me where I wanted to be. It was quite exhilirating to see this happen. I am flying the PMDG 737-700.

Here is my next problem: How do you get the plane to descend to approach height and speed using the FMC? Do you have to switch off the LNAV and VNAV and fly the descend and approach manually until you can engage the APP? I did lower the altitude height on the MCP but this did not seem to help. Any help with this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Hi,

Good to know that you have grasped the FMC..According to my knowledge the airplane will always fly the last mentioned altitude either from FMC or the MCP..If you need to come down to approach height,you will need to put in the altitude restriction in the legs page of FMC for that particular waypoint/fix etc.
You will need to keep the VNAV engaged and then dial in the altitude of the fix before crossing the previous waypoint.This ensures that the airplane starts descending to meet the crossing restriction...Hope this helps.let us know how its going..

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

Thanks to_coolguys. I will give it a bash and see how it goes.

I just thought of something - the height restrictions you are referring to I can get off the approach plates for the specific airport, right?

Pro Member First Officer

lowensteinbs wrote:

Thanks to_coolguys. I will give it a bash and see how it goes.

I just thought of something - the height restrictions you are referring to I can get off the approach plates for the specific airport, right?

Yeah you are right ....cool...

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

I finally managed a flight from KATL to KSYR using the FMC for the flight as well as descending, then using APP and hand flying from 400 feet off the runway. WOW - it is so cool when it all comes together.

Thanks to everyone for all the help, tips and advice on getting to know the FMC. I do still have work to do with it, but at least I now know I can manage a flight from point A to point B.

Pro Member First Officer

cool...still a lot to go..but it's good that u got a hang of it...

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I wonder when I'll be able to do that... 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

Mc_GaNgStA wrote:

I wonder when I'll be able to do that... 🙄

I would suggest read a small topic of the FMC manual and play with the FMC than to read the whole stuff at one go and try it in a flight..

Pro Member Trainee
Aceman9 Trainee

What's FMC ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Flight

Management

Computer

Idea

Pro Member Trainee
Aceman9 Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

Flight

Management

Computer

Idea

I knew THAT ! Liar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aceman9 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Flight

Management

Computer

Idea

I knew THAT ! Liar

Why ask then?

Help your mother with the dishes if you're that bored

Pro Member Trainee
Aceman9 Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

Aceman9 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Flight

Management

Computer

Idea

I knew THAT ! Liar

Why ask then?

I didn't know..hence the "liar" emoticon with the protruding Pinocchio nose? Poke in Eye

Pro Member Trainee
Aceman9 Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

Aceman9 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Flight

Management

Computer

Idea

I knew THAT ! Liar

Why ask then?

And anyway, I bought my mum a new kitchen with a built in dishwasher....but will she use it? Noooo ! Nope

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aceman9 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Aceman9 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Flight

Management

Computer

Idea

I knew THAT ! Liar

Why ask then?

I didn't know..hence the "liar" emoticon with the protruding Pinocchio nose? Poke in Eye

You can't expect EVERYBODY to be familiar with those fairytales man...
...my mother never told or read any to me, guess why?

Because I never helped her with the dishes

🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...