Programming the approach

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

Hi,

Does anyone know how to program an approach into the FMC so that you get lined up to the runway when coming in to land?

I am able to program the FMC from point A to point B, but I just end up flying over the airport and I do not come into the runway. I am setup with no wind and no air traffic, so I can select my approach runway at my departure airport - I am doing this until I get familiar with the approach using the FMC.

I have been trying with no luck to find help on how to get onto the approach. If anyone can help me I would be eternally greatful.

Thanks in advance.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The programing of the FMC is different depending on the FMC installed. FMC is only used for a GPS approach or missed approach procedures. Normally, the aircraft is on a radar vector(heading) when within approximately 30-40 miles of the airport. You would load the GPS approach and use heading mode to intercept the GPS approach centerline and NAV mode to maintain. Normally there is no vertical guidance during a GPS approach, there are exceptions based on certain approved equipment.

ILS and other approaches:
Some FMC will allow the approach to be loaded for situational awareness(SA) purposes and for use in flying the missed approach procedure. VOR/LOC equipment is providing the guidance during the approach, the FMC only draws a picture of the approach on the FMC display to help the crews SA.

Flight Simulator only:
Since you may not use ATC, you can set up the transition to the approach on your own. Look for a intersection, any(let's call it the initial point{IP}) that is approximately 10-20 miles from the airport, on the centerline of the desired approach and depicted on the instrument approach chart(you need a chart to fly a correct approach). Sometimes such a fix may show in the FMC if it allows approach selection. Make this IP a waypoint before the airport on your route of flight. As you reach the IP, go to VOR/LOC NAV and intercept the ILS.

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

CRJCapt, thanks for your prompt reply and thorough explanation. You can always be counted on.

I am using http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/ to get the route I want and I also have the full set of Jeppesen flight charts which I purchased. So basically, I need to find out which heading I am flying in on and find a waypoint that is 10-20 miles out and once past this waypoint, switch to heading and control it using the AP. The chart will tell me what height I need to be at at specific points.

I will try this out and see how I go. Thanks again for all your help, CRJCapt, you are always on the ball and willing to offer help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I may have gotten too complicated for my own good, let me clarify.

A. The normal way is to not put the approach into the FMC and near the airport, simply go to a heading, VOR/LOC NAV and intercept your desired approach.
or
B. GPS approach would be loaded into the FMC. Use heading and NAV to intercept course or fly transition in FMC for that approach.

Simulator only section
A cheat because people want the FMC to guide as much as possible before they get to the ILS. The IP fix(my name) would be on the approach not just the distance(see below). [Hills] intersection would be the IP for the approach below. You could also use CGT VOR and Hill intersection if you want. The idea is to get the aircraft to the final approach course so that you can switch to VOR/LOC navigation.

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

Thanks again, Sire.
I did understand you the first time, but I want to try and go from A to B ditrectly before involving other aspects such as ATC. Too much at one time will just confuse and frustrate me even more 😀 That's why I wanted to be able to get as close as possible using the FMC and then take over from there.

The chart you attached of course is the same as the charts that I have and the way you have explained it is the way I was going to try and put it into practise.

I look forward to trying this out.

Thanks again for all your help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Glad to hear it. I was just reading my original post, agonizing that maybe it was unclear. If you need or want more info, let me know, I'll do my best. Thank you for your kind words. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

CRJCapt,

Mission accomplished!!!

I am now able to take off, fly to point B and be lined up with the runway I want and land on using the FMC. After doing this a few times, I will move onto a more realistic approach. Thanks again for all your help in getting me to this point. It has made my flight sim experience all the more better.

Group Wave

clutches Guest

I have no idea how to program a normal route from point A to B using the FMC.Also to set the auto pilot settings you have to use the FMC,the thing is i don't know how to do these things.Help please!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

clutches wrote:

I have no idea how to program a normal route from point A to B using the FMC.Also to set the auto pilot settings you have to use the FMC,the thing is i don't know how to do these things.Help please!!!

Here are two good tutorials to help you master the FMC:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2876/fs2004-how-to-program-fmc-tutorial/

Pro Member Trainee
lowensteinbs Trainee

Here is another link to another tutorial:

(dead link removed)

Remember that not all default FS planes have the FMC.
Be patient with this - it's not that simple. You can also use the following URL to plan your routes:

http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...