Create your own WinXP...

mpan3 Guest

Sure we've all been removing and disabling stuff in XP: services, tweaks, patches, updates, to get the most out of our flight sim. But This gets tedious if you format often. Let me present you with a solution:

This might be a bit off topic but hardcore flight simmers might want to consider using 'nlite' to remove extraneous stuff from the XP right from the installation process. The program allows you to start with an original XP CD and remove all the components that you don't need.

The result is a 'lite' XP tailored to your need, it is small (so you can put other apps or drivers on one CD, too), installs fast(since there is less files to copy) and is more secure, too (you can apply all the Windows updates to the CD directly, so the next time you install windows, there is less patches to download)

I have made a 300mb XP Home SP2 with all patches up to December 2006 for myself. and I highly recommand nlite to anyone who wants to take control over their computer.

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Hey, Great topic and innovative solution. I too have been down the "let's try to put those wayward processes to sleep" pathway before flying FS, and it is truly a pain. The Ultimate Troubleshooter is a good start -- stops a number of processes you probably didn't even realize were there and improves overall computer performance.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/TUT_pages/TUT_information.htm

There is another really good FS program launcher-- the name of which escapes me, but I saw it posted on this forum-- which dumps all the unnecessary processes before starting FS. Worked very well for me until I bought a new box and lost the program. Somebody out there remember?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...