FSX Sucks

hacostam Guest

I have a P4 - 3.06 . 1.5 GB, 256MB Nvidea Video Card and the best frame rate I am getting is 10 is medium low.. I am working with Windows Vista and for me, this is a nightmare..

Do you know what I can do to I improve this..??

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/25372/happy-friday-just-some-smarts-for-thought/

This will help answer all of you questions. But on a serious note I am running an AMD Athlon64 3700+ (equilivent 3.7Ghz Cpu) 2 Gb Dual Channel Memory and 2 Geforce 7800GT's in SLI and get about 15 fps on medium to medium high settings. So join the club.

😉

dammitskipp Guest

i understand your inqueires about the frame rate issues with fsx .. but before thinkin the game is shitty you should look into your own settings ...im running a 2.6 gig processor with a 512 ati radeon x1600 pro graphics card and im getting 35-40 frames ....on ultra high ....your custom settings are what is dragging you down ... you with the 2 7900's i have the settings for those cards ... if you would like the best found settings for those cards feel free to email me at dammitskipp@aol.com ....i have settings that will pull you up over 30 ...you with the 256 mb ...well i would advise yu to upgrade to the 512 preferred 7950 or 8800 by nvidia ..that will awesomly change your game ,,,

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

astrosteve wrote:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/25372/happy-friday-just-some-smarts-for-thought/

😉

DOH!...SNAP!!

But yeah, I have to agree with dammitskip...I have a Nvidia 7950 GT (512 MB) with a pretty plain AMD 3700 (2.19 GB), and the only thing "unusual" about my setup is I overclocked my 7950 GT using the RivaTuner.

I also do a reboot before I run FSX.

Once rebooted I use FSAutoStart to kill all non-essential programs.

From the readme:

'Version 1.1 (Build 11)
Written by Ken Salter

Description:

FSAutoStart allows the user the ability to automatically shutdown services and programs to provide as much resources to running todays most demanding applications. It also provides the ability to launch selected programs before the application is launched. Lastly, it can automatically restart those programs and services previously shutdown, thus bringing the computer back to its original state. It also adds some performance enhancing options like Defrag Memory.'

The first time you run it it takes a while for the game to start up. This is because it forces the 'Idle Task' function to run (XPs version of 'scandisc'? which only usually runs when the computer is idle). This delay can also happen when it's been a while since 'idle task' last ran.

I run it first once, and then again after 2 minutes in the sim (I exit the game and then run it once more). This frees up lots more memory (according to the FSAutoStart stats). Running it the second time around goes about ten time quicker than the first run.

There is a guide to tell you which programs/processes you can safely shut down (and this briefly tells you what they do as well).

I always shut down my internet connection, firewall, and anti-virus manually before running FSAutoStart. This seems to give less problems with it hanging (this happens occasionally!). I re-start everything before going online of course!

Everything you have shut down re-starts on exiting the sim (provided you ticked the 'stop and re-start' option next to the listed process).

If it does 'hang' or fail to work in any way YOU ONLY HAVE TO RE-START YOUR COMPUTER AND YOUR OLD SETTINGS WILL BE RESTORED. ie. there is always an easy escape!

All the above is however from my own personal experience of the utility - I have never had a problem with it - others may have found it less satisfactory.

Once set up: Three mouse clicks will shut down masses of unnecessary processes/programs (50 at my own last count) and launch your sim.

Note: the memory defrag' works wonders!

By doing that I can run almost all on ultrahigh...the exception being that I do however trade off the ultrahigh graphics at the expense of low traffic. Traffic isn't that big of deal to me...if it is for you then you can pull back graphics slightly (most will still be on ultrahigh to high) and have medium to high traffic.

One thing I've noticed in helping people with the computers is that most are running either Norton Anti-Virus or McAfee Anti-Virus or even worse...one of their gawd-awful "bundles". Norton and McAfee are ripoffs and worse they are SERIOUS BLOATWARE

Software bloat (or resource hog) is a term used in both a neutral and disparaging sense, to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to be larger, or to use larger amounts of system resources (mass storage space, processing power or memory) than older versions of the same programs, without concomitant benefits being provided to end users.

Bloat is ascribed to various causes including: the tendency to replace efficiency-focused applications with less efficient enhanced versions, inefficiencies or unnecessary modules in program design and operation, and the incorporation of extended features which will be extraneous or low value for most users but slow down the program overall even if unused.

The latter is often blamed either on the prioritisation of marketing and "headline feature-set" over quality and focus, or the need to be perceived as adding new functionality in the software market, which for many products relies upon the existence of regular enhanced versions to be sold within the existing user base.

It is also used more generally to describe programs which appear to be using more system resources than necessary. Software exhibiting these tendencies is referred to as bloatware, resource hog or, less commonly, fatware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloatware

Seriously consider something else besides Norton or McAfee...as big part of your problem maybe them sucking up your precious resources.

I use Avast!...it's free (yes, sometimes free works better than those that charge out the rear Wink ), works great (don't believe me?...try it) and doesn't suck my resources dry.

http://www.avast.com/

But yeah...I don't think most people have any concept of all the junk that their computer is running in the background that is completely unnecessary.

If you're running Windows, you can disable a lot of that junk by clicking "Start" --> "Run" and type in msconfig in the space. Then click on the "Services" & "Startup" tabs.

I recommend that you go through all that nonsense one piece at a time. If you don't know what a particular program or service does...remember GOOGLE is your friend. Wink

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

All you need is a good video card (SLI or dual video cards are best), at the minimum 2GB of ram ( reach 4 GB and your computer will scream)and a great processor (or dual processor) to get max graphics and fast frame rate. You cannot run this program on a budget system so get it our of your head!!!!! If you have to shut down programs to get more processing speed, your computer is TOO SLOW!!!! I can run FSX and my essential programs, such as Norton, Bitorrent, and Internet Explorer, and I have the settings at 55% on FSX....I have no issues with frame rate at the moment. I know when I pick up the AMD 64FX X2 Dual Core processor (I am currently running a AMD 64FX +3000 @1.81 Ghz), I can adjust the settings to max and it'll run faster. Finding tricks to solve a simple solution will only piss you off even more.

Just pony up the cash for a computer upgrade.

Last edited by Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

hacostam wrote:

I have a P4 - 3.06 . 1.5 GB, 256MB Nvidea Video Card and the best frame rate I am getting is 10 is medium low.. I am working with Windows Vista and for me, this is a nightmare..

Do you know what I can do to I improve this..??

Ok erm, hello heh.

Not meaning to be rude here hacostam but your system is nowhere near qualified to run FSX how it's supposed to run. No computer can that doesn't have the right components, most of which won't be developed for another 3 or so years. And to add to that, compared to other peoples systems I'de hardly be surprised yours doesn't run so well, it's not the best I've seen.

Your comp is very similar to mine, and as opposed to what your describing FSX runs brilliantly for me. Graphics are lacking what they should be, but performance is good. Aslong as autogen is turned off, I can have everything high to very high without it sticking or even crashing, hardly any lag at all. All you can really do mate is wait for a directX 10 g-card, more ram, bigger processor. People seem to have this misconception that Vista will fix FSX up superbly, when it won't. It will run a lot better, but software doesn't beat hardware.

~Sno0ze

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...