Landing on auto-pilot.

Pro Member Trainee
MonsoonMally Trainee

Naturally enough, one of the skills I need to practice, is landing.

Sometimes, when I fly airliners, I wish to use auto-pilot to land - primarily so I can watch and improve my manual technique, which, frankly, is pretty hit and miss at the moment.

I find doing a 3 or 4 hour (or more) flight can be 'ruined' by shoddy landing skills!

Has anyone got time to give a brief 'muppets guide' to landing using auto-pilot?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

It requires a auto land feature that you have to download or a panel with the auto land feature built in. None of the default FS aircraft come with auto land. I've seen the auto land feature at www.avism.com but it's for FS9, unsure if it would work in FSX.

*The auto pilot alone is not designed to land the aircraft, it should be off before 200 feet AGL.

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

There's a nice guide on this that is a sticky in the FS 2004 General Section. It applies to FSX as well.

Don't go on 3-4 hour flights. Just practice: Take off, hook a 180, get about 20 miles away, intercept the localizer for the ILS. All you have to hone is your decision as to when to take over from the autopilot, cut throttles, and bring your nose up.

You'll have to monitor your speed target for the autopilot, and your initial altitude for intercepting the glide slope, but that's about it.

A complete flight I do quite often when I want to do a bit more than touch & goes is Princess Juliana (TNCM) to San Juan ((TJSJ). It's a short flight, long enough to get to a crusing altitude, descend with instructions from ATC and do an ILS approach. TJSJ has the ILS, TNCM does not.

Three weeks ago I was asking this very question myself. I've not become an expert in that time, but those instructions and some repetitive practice have helped get set up for the autopilot to be able to take over.

mdaskalos

Have bad landing skills? Use slew mode to place your aircraft safely on the ground. Problem solved!

Pro Member Trainee
Mark Hyder (markhyder) Trainee

I have use the auto-pilot for my landing.

I do not use any add-on.

I make sure I got the right number for the ILS.

When I use a 737 I set my speed as 157 knts, Flaps 30 and click APP and it lines up with the runway.

http://mark4christmas.co.uk/images/2007-2-8_2-43-9-765.BMP

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Brilliant advice by mdaskalos, I wholeheatedly agree, also with his choice of airports.

MonsoonMally wrote:

- primarily so I can watch and improve my manual technique, which, frankly, is pretty hit and miss at the moment...

For the purpose you are stating above, I would highly recommend FS Recorder. Resource-friendly and easy to use. See this recent topic:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/25427/fsx-replay/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...