SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

Pro Member First Officer
HowardsRock First Officer

Okay...this is really weird. As I'm cruising down the runway during takeoff, everything looks ok as far as the IAS, flaps, and everything else.

I can take off when the IAS reaches the necessary indicated speed, but the plane itself (what I actually see) is moving REALLY slow. When I lift the plane off the ground, it looks like I'm going 60 knots or so (even though the airspeed indicator shows around 150).

Anybody ever seen this before?

The game's clock is real-time, but it took me an hour and a half to get from Atlanta to Greenville/Spartanburg, SC in my 737.

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

No....when that happens and you press R + ,what is shown in the top right of your screen?

Pro Member First Officer

Dunno. What does that do? What am I supposed to see?

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

It's the time acceleration function, you should see Something like "1/2x Speed" or "2x Speed" if you press R+ or R-

If the sim is set to 1/2 Speed, you would have exactly what you describe, all gauges look normal, but it looks like you're moving very slowly.

Reset it to normal speed, and see how it looks then.

Pro Member First Officer

Does your time clock always keep real time (is 1 minute always 1 minute) regardless of the speed you have it set to?

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

HowardsRock wrote:

Does your time clock always keep real time (is 1 minute always 1 minute) regardless of the speed you have it set to?

In short ... No. The time clock moves in conjunction with the time ecceleration. In other words, if your game is set to run at 1/2 speed, then it will take 2 minutes of real time for the time clock to move 1 minute. If your eccelerated time is set to X4 then your game clock will show 1 minute (game time) every 15 seconds real time. Confussed yet ? 🙂

Hope this helps

Cheers and safe flying

Pro Member First Officer

I haven't timed the clock yet, but I have reason to believe that even though the sim says I'm flying real-time, there is a setting somewhere that's actually making it fly in 1/2x speed.

It took me 4 hours to get from IAD to JAX. In reality, that is only a 2-hour trip.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Check your simulation rate, sounds like it's set to 1/2 time on the top menu.

From within a flight:
Press[ATL], options, simulation rate, select Normal.

Pro Member First Officer

If it were set at 1/2 time wouldn't a little red note appear in the upper-right corner of the screen telling you so??

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

HowardsRock wrote:

If it were set at 1/2 time wouldn't a little red note appear in the upper-right corner of the screen telling you so??

Yes, you're right. I assume you're not getting this message. I would still check the menu in case the message is being inhibited by something. Sim rate is the only thing that I know of that would give the symptoms that you've described.

Pro Member First Officer

Could it be a hardware or driver issue? I just upgraded my PC to SP2 from SP1 (I never had these problems in SP1). I reloaded all my drivers after the upgrade, and then reinstalled FS9. Could it be that something in SP2 is not playing nicely with FS9?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

True Dont Know

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Sounds like time for a Physics experiment!!! Defining a few terms

S=distance an obect moves
t= time for which it is moving
a= rate at which an object accelerates

for the case where "a" (being gravity for this experiment) is constant.

S=0.5*a*t^2

in English units, a=32.2 ft/sec^2

a quick calc indicates an object should fall 1610 feet in ten seconds in free fall, 6440 feet in 20 seconds. (For these values of height, even if FSX models variable gravity due to Newtons Law of Universal Gravitation, the results will be sufficiently acurate) Going further: 14,490 feet in 30 seconds, 25,760 ft in 40, 40,250 ft in 50 sec, etc.

If FSX has an object/vehicle with zero aerodynamic forces, it should be possible to slew it to a proper height AGL, and "drop" it.

Does anyone know if the "Jeep" and "person" vehicles available here would fit that criteria? I presume the motor yachts have some modeled in to simulate the hydrodynamic drag, and are unsuitable. (Or maybe they do it all as rolling drag, hmmmm...)

If so, you can "drop" it, and watch & time the replay, both by stopwatch, and by the replay's clock.

P.S. I'm asking about FSX objects 'cuz it's all I have...

mdaskalos

Pro Member First Officer

Not trying to be an a-hole, but what's the point of this experiment?

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

Well think about it:

If it takes 20 "real time" seconds for the jeep to hit the ground from the 10-second height, then you can verify that something is amiss with the time-based nature of the sim. If you watch it on a replay afterward and the replay of the same episode shows ten seconds of simulation time, then it's somehow running at half rate. If it somehow shows the same 20 seconds you get on a stopwatch, then you've got another problem.

Maybe a simpler one is to set some waypoints on your GPS, a good distance apart (a couple hundred miles) get up to a level altitude, and while flying straight between two waypoints, put a stopwatch on it and just measure the real time it takes to close a given distance on a waypoints. Make sure you find out what your true aispeed is, and let it settle down to a constant value after a climb or a turn before goign to the stopwatch. Oh yeah, make sure that there is no wind so that groundspeed and airspeed are the same. Or if you're flying something that can give you groundspeed directly, use that.

Hey, maybe it is simpler to just drop the jeep.

Otherwise, you'll have to eliminate lots of other variables as to whether it's merely a matter of perception:

What's your frame rate? That'll affect the perception of speed
What was your cruising altitude on these flights??? True airspeed vs. indicated airspeed differs with altitude, y'know. That'll affect the duration.
How much did you get vectored around by ATC???

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

I never knew that had effect on the timimg of the game. Thanks.

Pro Member First Officer

Guys, I'm stumped. I CANNOT figure this out. Even with normal (1x) simulation rate, this thing is slow as Christmas. The dashboard clock counts accurate seconds, but when I go into instant replay mode, the seconds count down very slowly - almost to the tune of 3 real seconds to 1 second off the replay clock.

I've uninstalled & reinstalled, upgraded FSUIPC, NOTHING makes this problem go away!!! And I tried it without using any add-ons.

Sadly, if I can't get this figured out, my MSFS days are over. 😞

HR

Pro Member First Officer

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I got it working!!

I was grasping at straws trying to use process of elimination, but as it turns out, a corrupt install of Ultimate Traffic was to blame.

Everything is BEAUTIFUL now! Almost TOO good!

Thanks to everyone for their insight.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...