overheating

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

hello,

i think I just had an overheating problem with fsx..
I tried to max out everything in the scenery section except for water effects at 1xhigh.. but then my computer froze and I had a blue screen, first time it does that..
I have reduced the auogen to very dense... and i'll see what it does..
but the thing is I have a fan on my cpu, a fan on my video card, a fan on my PSU and one fan on the back of the case... so I dont know where to put another if that's what needed.. do you have suggestion for a fan placement or if it is the problem...

thanks

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

Well you have to have a very powerful system to run all settings on high so I would turn your settings down.

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Try leaving the side off the case for a bit and see if that helps

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

well my specs are

amd x2 64 3800+ 2ghz
4gig ram 4x1gb stick
200hdd sata
dvd/cd burner lightscribe
700w ozc psu
evga 8800gst superclocked 640 video card

I'll tried the panel thing to see.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Don't leave the side off the case.
The case is built for optimum air flow, once you leave the side off you disrupt that flow and will have problems.
Since you have a fan in the rear a fan in front pulling in cool air is the best that you can do.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Ok i'l shut up then 🙂

Worked for me when i had a games pc that overheaeted a few years ago

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

ok then,
well if I dont have a place to put a fan in the front what should I do..and by the way what do you mean by fan in the front one just like on the back..
maybe i'll try to change the back one for one with a faster rpm since it's the stock one from Hp..

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I'm using an intel mainboard that has 5 heat sensors and desktop utilities for: processor / IO controller / memory controller / ram channel A /ram channel B.
Typical temps: word processing FSX
CPU 115 122
IO controller 118 119
MEM controller 120 133
ram A 112 140
ram B 114 121
That's a stick of 1gb ram with heat spreader in each ram channel and an 80mm fan mounted 2 1/2" purpendicular cooling them.

With FSX scenery at dense and flying touch and go's, that ram is working hard! I had 4 ram sticks, but pulled 2 sticks to get more air circulation and my memory errors stopped.

This is windows Xp, Vista uses more ram, don't know what I'll do for that.

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

Do U have the problem from the very first minute after U turn your computer on?
In most system U can mesure the CPU and the video card temperature with some software.
I “hate” to say but some time similar problems caused by some memory “holes” or other memory problems.
If U know how try to pull out one by one a memory chip to see if the problem is still on.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Ok i'l shut up then 🙂

Saying to leave it off for a bit to test the theory that it is overheating is an excellent one.
Too many think that that's a solution to their problem...permanently.
Sorry that you took it the wrong way.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Ok i'l shut up then 🙂

Saying to leave it off for a bit to test the theory that it is overheating is an excellent one.
Too many think that that's a solution to their problem...permanently.
Sorry that you took it the wrong way.

Radar

I didn't mate, hence the smilie 🙂. I was only suggesting as a short term fault finding exercise

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

well I check my fan it is a sunon 2500rpm..
I got me a thermaltake with a range of 1300 to 4000 rpm i'll see what that does..
there was another more powerful one, the tornado from Vantec at 4800rpm but it is supposed to be very loud 55decibel....does any one know how loud this is, is it to loud or you can deal with it.....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

swiffer88 wrote:

well I check my fan it is a sunon 2500rpm..
I got me a thermaltake with a range of 1300 to 4000 rpm i'll see what that does..
there was another more powerful one, the tornado from Vantec at 4800rpm but it is supposed to be very loud 55decibel....does any one know how loud this is, is it to loud or you can deal with it.....

See if this helps, also check out case fans at www.newegg.com .

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/blowhole.php

Radar

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I threw away the side panel long time ago. Since I use a 1.5 foot diameter house hold fan, the airflow doesn't matter any more, its like hurrican blowing in, jus t a little bit too nousy though, but I wear ear phones anyway 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

I threw away the side panel long time ago. Since I use a 1.5 foot diameter house hold fan, the airflow doesn't matter any more, its like hurrican blowing in, jus t a little bit too nousy though, but I wear ear phones anyway 🙂

Way to go nottobe 👍 your courage and innovativeness is to be commended 👏

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

well i'have ordered my new fan to help with the overall heat..
but i've read that the ram itself can maybe overheat dans that copper heatspreader to difuse the heat are good solution.. is it worth it or is it just a scam..

also I have a evga 800gst superclocked video card pci express, but it is almost to the bottom of my pc, and I know there is a fan on it, does anybody know if the fan suck in air or get the hot air out of the card..
and would it be a good idea to put this underneath teh card to add cold air and avoid overheat on the card itself..
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=120565&CatId=804
or
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1784262&CatId=804

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The first is nice, I bought the second one a few years ago and used it until this new machine.
Yes it did help.
I would get the first.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

ok good thanks radarman

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

Well,

I have installed the new thermaltake fan and its way better than the original one. I also bought and installed the pci slot fan card underneath my video card, it helped to.
and i also made a new hole to get the heat out on the side panel, next to the graphic card.. and placed a fan grill just like they did on the site you suggested radarman.. and now everything seems fine.

and i will have enough fan and holes for the next and last upgrade left to do on my machine I guess if I check what I have.. a new CPU probably the new amd athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3ghz.. but i'll wait a bit for the price to down just a little

my specs are

amd x2 64 3800+ 2ghz
4gig ram 4x1gb stick
200hdd sata
dvd/cd burner lightscribe
700w ozc psu
evga 8800gst superclocked 640 video card
theVantec Spectrum PCI Fan Card
thermaltake adjustable fan
vista premium on the way (now it xp home edition)
19'' syncmaster 931bf monitor

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Nice specs and good setup with the fans!

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
swiffer88 Trainee

hello radarman

I have a question for you, might sound a bit stupid but what the heck hééhéh
the rear fan on the pc case , is it better to use it to get warm air out or suck in cool air.. my old fan was use to get the warm air out and I have put my new fan that way for now...

thanks

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

swiffer88 wrote:

hello radarman

I have a question for you, might sound a bit stupid but what the heck hééhéh
the rear fan on the pc case , is it better to use it to get warm air out or suck in cool air.. my old fan was use to get the warm air out and I have put my new fan that way for now...

thanks

You want the fan to push the hot air out of the case....however, its better to add an additional fan to help pull cool air in. The additional cool air can help cool components inside the computer, however, the downside to this pull/push configuration is that you stand to draw in twice as much dust into your computer than its used to.....depending where you place your computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Don't put them both in back.
Hot air out the back cool air in the front.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...