Airport etiquette (landing on the grass & buzzing)

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

This is a question for actual pilots.

How much trouble do I get into when I land/takeoff across the active using the grass? I have trouble with crosswinds in a taildragger like the cub.

At fields without automated weather I buzz the field to read the wind sock, then lineup downwind for landing, ignoring the paved runway.

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Landing on grass at a paved airport
Well, you could have your pilot certificate suspended and/or pay a fine. The exception would be in an emergency but you would have to prove that you had no other choice.

Wind sock buzz
Wouldn't be a good thing to do from a safety standpoint. You could fly low along the runway and then return for landing but the crosswind low buzz could get you a violation. Uncontrolled airports also have regulations for pattern entry.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Bummer

I better stay at dirt strips without ATC.

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

It is common and encouraged to overfly an uncontrolled field to look at the windsock. This is assuming you have no other means to find the active runway or wind direction. When doing so you should be at least 500 ft. over pattern altitude and announce your intentions on the appropriate frequency. Once you see the windsock you can head upwind and fly far enough away so you can safely turn back around and descend to pattern altitude and enter the downwind leg at a 45 degree angle of entry.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...