Minimums

Pro Member Trainee
Flyguy41983 Trainee

On the GPWS what does the term "Minimums" refer to? I have heard it is this video and many others ➡ http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Airbus_A300-600-Airline_Qatar_Airways_Aviation_Video-8074.html
(The landing in this video is so smooth you cant even tell they have landed until you hear the reversers) but any way what does that term mean?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

I downloaded that video just yesterday! 😂

Minimums is when aircraft goes below 500ft, GPWS announces minimums and counts down the height, 400, 300, 200, 100.

Pro Member Trainee
Flyguy41983 Trainee

Thank you for the meaning VegasFlyer and it is an excellent landing!

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Flyguy41983 wrote:

Thank you for the meaning VegasFlyer and it is an excellent landing!

Yeah, very nice one! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Actually "Minimums" is a value set by the pilot for each approach that represents the minimum altitude that you are allowed to descend without visual contact with the runway environment. It can be a MSL altitude or an altitude above the surface(radar altitude)if a CAT III ILS is being flown. It's set by a readout on the PFD especially for this value. When this altitude is reached, you hear "Minimums" as a reminder that you've reached approach minimums. Normally this value is 200 feet for a normal ILS.

Pro Member Trainee
Flyguy41983 Trainee

Thank you CrjCapt
That sounds more reasonable

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Actually "Minimums" is a value set by the pilot for each approach that represents the minimum altitude that you are allowed to descend without visual contact with the runway environment. It can be a MSL altitude or an altitude above the surface(radar altitude)if a CAT III ILS is being flown. It's set by a readout on the PFD especially for this value. When this altitude is reached, you hear "Minimums" as a reminder that you've reached approach minimums. Normally this value is 200 feet for a normal ILS.

I've been wondering where you were on this one CRJ. Now, I 'm releaved that you've answered this question as it is supposed to be answered. I guess I got it totally wrong. Embarassed
🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

VegasFlyer,
Thanks, you're doing fine. I've got your back, just glad to help. 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

VegasFlyer,
Thanks, you're doing fine. I've got your back, just glad to help. 🍻

That's nice to know. Thnx CRJ
🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...