Intel an AMD

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

I was wondering why AMD was so much cheaper then intel. I can get a dual core AMD 2.6ghz for less than a dual core intel with 2.1ghz. Are AMD processors ok?

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Nothing wrong with AMD processors.

Intel and AMD are the two biggest processor manufacturers. Obviously they are always competing every which way.
Methods of getting on top of the other include using different terminology (to leave us dumbfounded and confused) and fight each other in the courts of law.
When competitors of this magnitude are involved, the result is often the manifestation of cults... so in this case we have zealous followers of both, the Intel Cult and the AMD Cult.

My personal observation over the years has been that sometimes AMD is ahead of Intel in a technological sense, sometimes it's the other way around.
Basically, AMD gives you more bang for buck.

Guest Guest

AMD was a head of Intel for a long time. AMD chips did run more efficiently and proved that high clock speeds did not mean faster performance.
Now Intel has released the Core 2 Duo and it really does mean business. Core 2 Duo processors give outstanding performance and they run generally cooler than the older Pentium D's. The lowest in the range is the E4300 1.8GHz, but it can still fly past many more expensive Mid range X2 processors and will destroy any AMD processor with some over clocking. Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 will beat any AMD processor full stop from stock.
AMD's answer was to release the 6000+, but it still cannot match the E6600 and costs more too!. AMD processors will still run games and applications fine, but why buy second rate technology ❓

If you don't believe me search the internet 😉

Pro Member First Officer

So is a 2.6ghz dual core AMD better than a 2.1ghz dual core intel with no overclocking?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer

So do you think I should get an AMD 2.6ghz with the best Nvidia 8 series vidio card or an intel 2.1ghz with the lowest version in the 8 series?

Guest Guest

That 2.6Ghz AMD might look faster, but don't go on clockspeeds too much. If clock speeds were the most important part we would all be using Pentium D's 😂.In reality the Pentium D is a piece of Junk 😂
Core 2 Duo is a new breed and is certainly better than that AMD 🙂.
If you know anything about overclocking then the rather well priced E4300 is the best bang for buck. I have read about people who have clocked this processor all the way to 3Ghz.
If you have a monitor with a resolution of 1280 * 1024 max then the top of the range GTX is not going to see that much benefit over the GTS model. The extra graphics memory of the GTX sees more benefit with high resolution gaming.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

In reality the Pentium D is a piece of Junk

Hey hey hey hey hey, now Pentium D is perfectly fine! (ofcourse because I have one)

Still, it manages to get some decent benchmark scores, especially when overclocked

Guest Guest

Pentium D was released at a time when Intel desperately needed a processor to compete with the AMD X2 series. It might be ok for applications, but in a marketing and technology sense it really is a piece of trash. Core 2 Duo is an achievement for Intel. The shoe is on the other foot now since it is now AMD that is the desperate one. AMD has just released the 6000+, which is pushing the AM2 core to the limit. The E6600 (better) comes in cheaper and has more overclocking potential.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Read my post above Whistle

Pat on my shoulder Tongue

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Hi -

I run an AMD 4400+ with an 8800GTS Vid card and have run numerous PC Mark and 3D Mark 06 tests on the system. The ONLY thing that beats it is a CORE DUO CPU system or a PC running an 8800GTX card.

In short - my AMD with an 8800GTS card out performs and out proices anythign that Intel has to offer, other than their CORE DUO, but if you can afford to spend $1200+ on a CPU, then go for it. My 4400+ cost $400 - how much is a bit more processor speed worth ?

Interestingly, AMD's still run cooler than the Intels even though the CORE DUO is the coolest running SPU Intel has, and they still perfprm better across the board than an Intel.

I am neither an AMD fan or an Intel fan - I buy value for money, and that adds up to AMD.

Pro Member First Officer

So I f I get an AMD 5000+ wiht an NVIDIA GeForce 8800gts It will be good.

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Hi 737flyer -

Yes that should be a great system, and you can safely overclock the 5000+ up to about a 5200+ I think, although I dont recomend overclocking. BUt that with an 8800GTS attached - you should be able to play virtually anything availbale at the moment.

As I said, I have a 4400+ and it runs very well so I can only assume the 5000 is going to run even better, but the 8800GTS is the key really.

Guest Guest

wombat457 wrote:

Hi -

In short - my AMD with an 8800GTS card out performs and out proices anythign that Intel has to offer, other than their CORE DUO, but if you can afford to spend $1200+ on a CPU, then go for it. My 4400+ cost $400 - how much is a bit more processor speed worth ?

I live in the UK and an E4300 costs less than an AMD X2 4400+. Even at stock the 1.8Ghz intel can offer similar if not better performance than an X2 4400+. Now anyone who wishes to overclock can make that E4300 a monster processor that would outperform anything AMD have to offer. AMD best value for money!? 😂 that just isn't true at the moment. Yes the extreme editions cost an arm and a leg, but so do AMD FX processors.

I am not a fan boy either because I will buy the best and only the best. I have used AMD technology mostly in the past, but the facts are AMD are knocked out for the time being.

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Hi Geust -

You are comparing different type processors and that doesnt work. The sheer cost of the onyl decent Intel Procesor that I have seen (the Core Duo) is simply not worth the money unless you are a wealthy person or die hard gamer (who are basically repsonsible for the ludicrous cost of things) then the 5000+ with an 8800GTS will be superb and be the best value for money. It is also a known fact that an AMD 2.1 gig CPU is the equivilent in performance of an Intel 2.3 Gig and so forth. I think that speaks for itself in terms of performance.

In terms of reliability, and if I had the money - I would buy a dual cpu flywire board with twin 62 XFs. Cheaper than Intel and far more reliable than Intel - at least in Australia, naturally I cant speak for the UK. In Germany Intel is cheaper than AMD so it depends where you live.

Guest Guest

wombat457 wrote:

Hi Geust -

You are comparing different type processors and that doesnt work. The sheer cost of the onyl decent Intel Procesor that I have seen (the Core Duo) is simply not worth the money unless you are a wealthy person or die hard gamer (who are basically repsonsible for the ludicrous cost of things) then the 5000+ with an 8800GTS will be superb and be the best value for money. It is also a known fact that an AMD 2.1 gig CPU is the equivilent in performance of an Intel 2.3 Gig and so forth. I think that speaks for itself in terms of performance.

In terms of reliability, and if I had the money - I would buy a dual cpu flywire board with twin 62 XFs. Cheaper than Intel and far more reliable than Intel - at least in Australia, naturally I cant speak for the UK. In Germany Intel is cheaper than AMD so it depends where you live.

The E4300 is a Core 2 Duo processor! in the Uk it costs as little as a hundred pounds (very little)!!! you are thinking of the extreme editions that are the expensive Core 2 Duos like the E6800. I would say a processor that performs well from stock and can be overclocked for huge performance gains is pretty good value!
A 2.1Ghz AMD equivalent to a 2.3Ghz Intel where do you get that information from? 😂. Maybe that was true with the Pentiums, but not so with Core 2 Duo.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...