Opensky 747SP Nosewheel Not Turning?

I have the new Opensky 747SP in AA livery and noticed the nose wheel does not turn at all. I would have thought a release as new as this would have this feature. Plus, the text about the model at AVSIM seems to suggest it should turn. Here's the text:

"File Description:
The Project Open Sky team is pleased to present the Boeing 747SP. The first release in the new 747v4 series. This model is made for FS2004 and has some XML coded animations. 1.Flex Wings 2.Body gear steering under 15kt above 1kt. 3.Nose gear steering under 60kt above 1kt. 4.Rudder lock under 60kt above 1kt. 5.Ground spoiler only works on ground. 6.Low speed aileron locks at high speed. Please visit www.projectopensky.com for updates and paints etc. Note: For use in Fs2004. Can be used in FSX, but is unsupported."

Anyone else have this model? Does the nose gear steer on yours? Is there something I did wrong? Incidentally, I even installed service pack 3 in hopes that this would fix the problem, which it didn't.

Thanks!

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I can categorically state that the nose wheel is turning:

Sorry about the quality of the pics.

Yep.....sure is. What did I do wrong???

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This question can only be answered if you tell us what you did in the first place Geek

Typicall download from AVSIM; unzipped file to aircraft folder. Never had any problems before. Looking thru the effects folder, it does not appear that this feature is a separate "effect" that needs to be installed in the effects folder. I tried a second original 747SP aircraft and the same thing resulted (no nose gear steering animation).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Typicall download from AVSIM; unzipped file to aircraft folder. Never had any problems before. Looking thru the effects folder, it does not appear that this feature is a separate "effect" that needs to be installed in the effects folder. I tried a second original 747SP aircraft and the same thing resulted (no nose gear steering animation).

You're right, the nose wheel doesn't fall into the category of effects. What to do?

I would try some other POSKYs for comparison and also a few other aircraft.
Are your rudders working?

Have you tried re-calibrating your flightstick?

Yes, other aircraft's nosewheels turn, with the exception of an older Opensky 747 I have (a newer 747-220 I have does have a working nose wheel). Interesting question about rudders working though. Now that you mention it, I don't see any rudder movement with any of my aircraft! I have a Logitek 3 joystick and the "auto-rudder" enabled. I just tried to assign separate button commands for "rudder trim" but I still don't see any rudder or nosewheel movement on the 747SP.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok I'm clawing at straws now -- do you by any chance have 'Autorudder enabled' in your Settings?

Yes, auto-rudder enabled. I did finally find that operating "Num-0" and "Num-Enter" will operate the rudder and nosewheel (along with the rear gear steering capability of this aircraft). Aside from the older Opensky 747 mentioned above, this is the only aircraft I have that does not have nosewheel movement when operating the joystick alone. I find it very difficult to steer the aircraft on the ground by pushing buttons, however. Don't get me wrong this is a neat aircraft. But I'm not sure I want to invest in another joystick with twisting capabilities or a set of foot pedals to make operating this one aircraft easier while maintaining what I believe to be an essential animation.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry I was asking you a question you'd already answered.

Now I'd suggest you turn Autorudder OFF and see what happens.

Oh, one more thing -- are you actually saying that your joystick does NOT have a twist handle?

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I was going to say Tailhook may have found the problem when he mentions the twist handle on the joystick,but your other aircraft turn ok?
Unless, this POSKY model only turns with a twist grip!
I'm clutching at straws here as well!

My joystick does NOT have a twist handle. Interestingly, all my aircraft's nosewheels still turn except for the two aforementioned Posky 747's. I should mention all the aircraft turn on the ground just fine, with or without nosewheel articulation. Also, none of my aircraft display visible rudder movement with joystick use alone, even with auto-rudder enabled. However, the rudders will move with "Num-0" and "Num-Enter", along with the Posky 747 nosewheels. As I mentioned above, pressing buttons to steer the aircraft on the ground is difficult to say the least! I guess my only option is to invest in a new joystick if I want to have easy steering on the ground AND maintain nosewheel articulation.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...