what is a localizer?

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

any time I fly IFR, I'm told to wait for the localizer before coming into land. I'm sure this is a basic question along the lines of how do you breathe, but I have no idea what it is.

thanks

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The Localizer is a radio navigation aid used to help aircraft align with the runway during an instrument approach in low visibility. Can be used alone such as during a localizer approach or in conjunction with the a Glideslope signal thus making up the ILS or Instrument Landing System. Only some runways have this aid, click on the airport symbol in MAP mode to see if available and to determine the frequency for the Localizer.
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

Pro Member First Officer
rowcoach First Officer

thanks for that - I was a little confused. Now I know what the app button is for as well.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...