just installed it

Pro Member Trainee
ftpbuckshot Trainee

running this with all settings cranked on a dell xps 4g ram 2.6 dual core
dual nvidia 512 7950's and i am still getting black marks once in a while while looking left or right while in flight cant believe it maybe the settings are too high for the game? Cant be the system? Maybe its not sli compatible? Game still lokks great but the glitching is kind of annoying on a system of this caliber .

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Download this scenery update.

Radar

have you installed the SDK?

Pro Member Trainee
ftpbuckshot Trainee

i followed the link you sent in your reply (thakn you) when i go to install the sdk update it tells me it cannot find fsx..

Pro Member Trainee
ftpbuckshot Trainee

ok it finally installed it but now i get grey patches everywhere everytime i change the view or move the hat switch it grays out like fog or something what the heck is going on? Im starting to regret paying this much money for this game. Anyone have any other suggestions pls?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

ftpbuckshot wrote:

running this with all settings cranked on a dell xps 4g ram 2.6 dual core dual nvidia 512 7950's and i am still getting black marks once in a while while looking left or right while in flight cant believe it maybe the settings are too high for the game? Cant be the system? Maybe its not sli compatible? Game still lokks great but the glitching is kind of annoying on a system of this caliber .

Try turning down your settings, your computer is good but FSX can overload the fastest computers if you max out all of the settings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

ftpbuckshot wrote:

...Maybe its not sli compatible?

This is a point that's often conveniently ignored by those who use a SLI-configuration. My friend GOOGLE is bursting at the seams with debates on this subject which leads me to the conclusion that it's worthwhile spending some time to investigate further.

I'm not going to try and make suggestions or recommend a solution because though I have a SLI board, I've only got one card i.e. not SLI configured.

I will however quote a couple of paragraphs I've found very informative:

… Now this doesn’t mean that you get 2x the performance as there’s a bunch of work that has to be done on the hardware no matter what pixels are being filled e.g. clipping triangles, performing vertex shader operations, etc…
and:
...Fast forward a few years and hardware is doing pretty much all the work, that means that sharing the rendering load between multiple cards very hard. To be quite honest, most apps are geometry and transform bound - the 3D hardware vendors have got very good at pushing pixel fill-rate, while the busses that get the data to the card haven’t really kept up. Stick two cards in the mix and you’ve doubled the data that needs to be sent to each card.

This is from a post in thread entitled Flight Simulator and SLI more HERE.

FSX can use SLI and Dual core today, just not as well as we and the community would like.
What do I mean by this? Let’s talk in terms of SLI first and then multi-core.

SLI

SLI and Crossfire happen in the driver. The app stays out of the way and, as long as the app doesn’t do any of the 2 or so "bad things" that could break SLI it just works, see Note 1.

The main issue is FSX is CPU bound so the extra GPU doesn’t provide any benefit until fill rate, as determined by resolution and AA settings, drive past the CPU-boundness.

So SLI doesn’t benefit FSX much except at extreme resolutions with high AA.

etc. etc...

Read more HERE.

...and much, much more in many places 😀

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

... thats an argument I have been making for a long time, FSX is more concerned with your computing power, not your graphics power... even those with Quad cores are having issues since the program isnt taking advantage of the 3rd and 4th processor... heck, it isnt even taking advantage of the second processor, look here.... in the top right corner you will see the comprison from CPU 1 and 2. You can also look at the GPU temps and see that its doing nothing in the processing department.. I have a ZALMAN cooler on it, and even on the most intensive 3D tests it will hit 53*c

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...