8800 GTS 640mb

Smailey112 Guest

Hi, my dad is now in USA and have bought my new GeForce 8800 GTS...

But my question is, I got a AMD athlon X2 3800+, and 1 gb of RAM.

Would this be enough to make FSX run ok, or would i have to get more RAM as well???

Thanks for any respons

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Yes, more ram.

Even running FSX on winXp with all background processes disabled, expect to use 1.2 gb of "resource" when FSX sliders are set high @ 20 fps.

I have 2 gb and FSX runs comfortably under winXp, Vista will need more I hear.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

I would change the processor as well....check to see if your motherboard can accept a dual core processor. If it does, I'll pick up a AMD 64 X2 processor.

Smailey112 Guest

I would change the processor as well....check to see if your motherboard can accept a dual core processor. If it does, I'll pick up a AMD 64 X2 processor.

If u read it again, it says that i have a AMD athlon X2 +3800😛

So know what do u say?😀

Smailey112 Guest

Sorry, one more thing...

Some people say that the 8800 GTS needs alot of cooling, would it be a smart thing to install another case fan that blowes straight at the video card?

Thanks😀

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

I have the AMD 3800+ and I gig of ram but no tthe 8800. It is not the best but for under $550 you get what you pay for.

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

The more the ram, the better 😀
The graphics card you've bought will improve things but the 1GB of RAM might limit performance. I would recommend upgrading your RAM as much as your motherboard will allow or your budget will allow.

Pro Member First Officer
Tom (cthiggin) First Officer

Hello fellow simmers,
I have had the 8800GTS 640 Meg Video Card for about a month now. Thought it would solve everything - Of course, it didn't - Added another gig ram for total of 3 - I am getting about 15 - 20 FPS - better than before - with all tsr's closed - The GTS is a wonderul product, taking up a pci-e + another pci slot - BIG CARD - good cooling fan - The problem is that the Drivers for the 8800 are quite there yet - not 100% compatible with DX10 (I have Vista) AND Vista DX10 is not 100% yet -
Had a tech call with MS Gaming Tech - He told me the above - he said 3 -4 months away - with DX10 tweaked by MS, with Nvidia drivers tweaked, with SP1 for FSX, that I could expect to get in the 50 - 60 FPS - without going to duo-core processor - I sure hope he is right - I told him I had spent hi-dollars to solve the fsp problem - his reply - you did not do it in vain, maybe pre-maturily, but you'll definately be ready when ALL is tweaked and cleaned up - REALLY HOPE HE'S RIGHT - my 2cents for whatever it's worth.
cthiggin

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Smailey112 wrote:

If u read it again, it says that i have a AMD athlon X2 +3800😛

So know what do u say?😀

Apparently, I can't read. Embarassed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...