Load Times

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

After seeing all the compare rig threads, I thought we should make one where you post your FSX load time. To keep it simple, post the time it takes from you clicking on the icon to FSX being fully loaded (at main screen). You don't have to post the time from clicking 'Fly Now' as that really depends on your settings, flight...etc. Also if you can, post your specs (motherboard, HD, OS, CPU and RAM should do).

I'll start it off:

Load time: 1 minute 😞

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2
2.5GB DDR2 RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate x86

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Icon to Main screen - 5 seconds

E6300 1.86 running at 3.43ghz
2gig DDR2-800 @ 1000mhz
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 v3.3
160gb WD
160gb Baracuda
Nvidia 7600GTKO
Watercooling
Windows Vista Home Ultimate

Proof

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

While I find this comparison interesting, I wonder how much credibility can be attached to it's results.
It seems to me that the intention here is to basically compare hardware performance; but surely where loading time of the sim is concerned we also have to consider the total size in GB of add-ons each individual has installed.

With the kind of rigs you guys run one gig more or less in add-ons probably won't even be noticable. But there seems to be a threshold which, once overstepped really loads the sim much slower than previously.

I'm using fs9 for most everything still, though I have fsx installed. My current fs9 installation is several months old (have managed to keep it fairly clean this umpteenth time) and have therefore kept on installing add-ons and still am almost every day. I can say with certainty that my sim now loads much slower than immediately after a fresh install. To compare: about 3 seconds without add-ons of any kind and between 20 and 30 seconds now.

I have to add that the programs running in the background are always the same.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I would suggest that those comparing load times should also include what add-ons are included in load times...

Im running clean install with no add ons.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...