ATi or Nvidia?

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

I have narrowed my graphics card choice down to the Ati Radeon X1600 and the Geforce 7600GS. The X1600 has 256Mb DDR3, and according to the Palit website the core clock speed up to 575Mhz and the memory clock speed up to 1000Mhz. According to Toms Hardware the 7600GS has a core clock speed of 400Mhz and a memory clock speed of 800Mhz, and 256Mb GDDR2.

Also according to Toms Hardware, the 7600GS has a frame rate of 20.7 in FSX on ultra high graphics. The X1600 has a frame rate of 14.8 on the same settings. One of my friends told me that ATi's show better quality images than the Nvidia's but at a slower speed. I am not really concerned about frame rate. What I want to know is which of these two graphics cards will display better quality graphics, regardless of frame rate?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

This is a toss up of a question. I have owned many ATi cards in various PC's I have built. Currently I am runnning 2 7800GT's in SLi. I would say that in my experience that ATi seems to have a little bit nicer image quality. They both have 12 pixel pipelines and basiclly the 7600GS is a turned down 7600GT. They just cut the memory bandwidth of the card down from 22.4GB/s to 12.8GB/s. To answer your bottom line question.....Go with the Ati X1600.

BE SURE TO CHECK FOR CATALYST DRIVER UPDATES AT LEAST ONCE A MONTH AND DOWNLOAD THE LATEST. NICE CONTROL PANEL OPTIONS TOO FOR QUALITY.

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

Thanks astrosteve

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

I believe that most games are developed with nvidia in mind whether or not they are better. Therefore most games will be optimized for Nvidia.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

nvidia rules I will always stick with them.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...