Nvidia 8800 GTX vs ATi Radeon HD 2900 XT

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Thats it, I'm up to here with Nvidia. I dont tink i'll be buying another graphics card from them for a while untill the bukc their ideas up.

I keep getting 'Ghosting Panels' in FS2004, especially when running FSP (Its a driver problem, not your fault Dan). I have tried every driver
available (Well not every, but 97.94, 158.22, 160.02 (beta) & 160.03 (beta) but no luck.. So now i'd like to return back to ATI who i've had no
problems with 🙂. The problem is 8800 GTX is 768MB and is supposed to be one of the best and best for vista, aming so on and so forth where as the 2900XT is only 512 but slightly more powerfuler but ihavn't herd much said about it, is this an old card?. I just don't know what
to do? Stick and wait for nvidia to hopefully bring a fix for the problem or dont waste time and get the 2900XT?

i'd appriciate if anyone could help me.. This is getting OTT now with Nvidia.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
likeati Guest

ROFL I hear ya dude, i don't know about the prob yer havin, but ive never had problems with ATI like i had with nvidia.
and ati uses half the onboard system ram that nvidia uses.
still have a nvidia, that i tried to install, what a headache, i'd sell it at e-bay but, i just don't have the heart to let someone else have my headache

Pro Member First Officer

lol. I see.

Your a kind lad lol

Well i don;t know what to do other then keep buggin Nvidia! (I need you help to guys)

Pro Member Trainee
Ravie Trainee

HD 2900 .. rocks!

look up reviews on google u'll see it nearly matches 8800 GTX for the price of a 8800 GTS

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

Just an idea: are you running vista? If so you could try forcing 4x anti-aliasing in the control panel. I suggest this because in computer shopper's reveiw of the card they mention they had a problem with a game they tried to play in vista, but forcing the anti-alaising solved the problem. I dont even know if this is relevant to your problem, but I would say giving it a go can do no harm.

Pro Member First Officer

Hi

No, i'm not running Vista, Nvidia have just contacted me saying...

Hello Dan,

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

I understand from your email, that you are getting issues with Flight Simulator 2004 when you try to play with the GeForce 8800 GTX graphics card.

I can assure you that I understand how frustrated you must be feeling. I will surely pass on the information about this issue to the developer team. I would also request you to try the driver version 97.02. Please find the 97.02 driver on the link below---

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_97.02.html

Please let us know if this driver brings about any change.

Regards,
NVIDIA Customer Care.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

I have an Nvidia card (7900 GTO to be precise) and have never had any real problems. I am sure there are many more users on this forum who have had good experiances with Nvidia.

However, the screenshot you have provided rings a bell with me.....I think I may have had a similar issue in the past. Best thing to do would be to dumb down all your graphics settings in the Nvidia Control Panel and reduce the resolution. If this clears the issue, increase your settings until the same problem occurs then you might just have an answer to your problem.

Out of experiance, FS9 does not like anything above x4 for 'Anisotropic filtering' or 'Antialiasing'. Also double check that in your FS9 display settings (found in the FS9 settings menu) that you do not have 'Antialiasing' checked otherwise FS9 will overide your graphics card settings.

Good luck.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

BashDaBish wrote:

I have an Nvidia card (7900 GTO to be precise) and have never had any real problems. I am sure there are many more users on this forum who have had good experiances with Nvidia.

However, the screenshot you have provided rings a bell with me.....I think I may have had a similar issue in the past. Best thing to do would be to dumb down all your graphics settings in the Nvidia Control Panel and reduce the resolution. If this clears the issue, increase your settings until the same problem occurs then you might just have an answer to your problem.

Out of experiance, FS9 does not like anything above x4 for 'Anisotropic filtering' or 'Antialiasing'. Also double check that in your FS9 display settings (found in the FS9 settings menu) that you do not have 'Antialiasing' checked otherwise FS9 will overide your graphics card settings.

Good luck.

Not only good to see you back Bash but you come up trumps for me 😀 , i've been messing about trying to get the settings and scenery right on my new PC for days, then you come along with this little gem and hey presto, luvvly jubbly 👍 .

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Now then Welshflyer, nice to hear from you. Thought I would take a break for a bit until some of the numpties got bored and toddled off or behaved themselves. Things appear to have calmed down and civility restored.

Anyway, pleased that some part of what I said helped someone. No doubt I will bump into you on these forums a lot more frequently now. Also good to see many regulars are still around and posting.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Glad to hear it and thanks for the help 😀 !

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...