From nVidia 7600GT to what.... (minor exeptions though)

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Okay. I've been using the nVidia 7600 since FSX was released. Now, I want to move to Direct 10 card but cannot afford that 8800 card. What would you recommend? Should I even stay with nVidia or should I go with ATI?

Windows XP Pro 2
2gigs
Conroe dual 2 core, 1.86GHz

- Kareem

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Remy (Remyx) Trainee

Can't afford the 8800GT. Look at the 9600GT, very good performance just a little less. Still 512MB memory and all the jazz.

In any case, your CPU might limit you more than the graphic card. If your main concern is framerate in FSX, consider upgrading your CPU to something like Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz. You may see more improvements than beefing up the graphic card.

Do you run XP or Vista? Is DX10 relevant to you, or in your near future?

For FSX, I'd favor CPU and Ram before GPU. If you play other games, that's a different story.

Remy

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

VIsta Ultimate 32b
Directx10 is not all that crucial although nice to have. But apparently FSX really doesnt utilize it all that much.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You're confusing me terribly Heyjoojoo 😳

Are you running XP Pro or Vista Ultimate?

Do you want DX10 or not?

Please tell me I'm misreading all of this Idea

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Sorry tailhook. I just upgraded to Vista Ult. I've had it quite some time but decided to go ahead and install it. DirectX10 being one of the reasons.

Sorry about that.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Heyjoojoo wrote:

Sorry tailhook. I just upgraded to Vista Ult. I've had it quite some time but decided to go ahead and install it. DirectX10 being one of the reasons.

Sorry about that.

No problem Heyjoojoo, just trying to make sense out of it all. I hope your Vista Ultimate will work out all right for you. You're a step ahead of me... I'm still trying to decide on the OS for my next rig, XP Pro or Vista.
Needless to say I couldn't advise you on a suitable gfx card from my own experience.
In case you're not familiar with 'Tom's Hardware', you can look at some test results of the 9600 GT as suggested by Remyx here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/21/nvidia_geforce_9600_gt/

You should also consider his advice re the CPU.

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

yeah, I'm thinking of upgrading the processor to a 3.0GHz. I've seen some good prices online.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...