FSX after 5 months

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I'm a refugee from online first person shooters who was looking for a less violent sim related to reality. I've played FSX as an explorer, It's been a wonderful way to learn about parts of America I cann't afford to tour in person. I use web searches to learn more about locations I visit on the map. This month I'm puddle jumpimg up the Mississippi river stopping at smaller airports. Right now I'm parked at KHEZ by Natchez. Searching airNav for local info, I've found this about KHEZ.
From Jeffrey Minch on 05-Oct-2004
Very nice friendly staff. Great hamburgers upstairs (well kept secret). Big runways and right next to the Mississippi River. Open 24 hours and fuel all the time.
From Mike O'Neil on 04-Jun-2005
Outside building is like an "antebellum" mansion, inside very clean, neat, snack machines.
From Charlie Brown on 10-Jan-2006
Natchez has a very nice facility and they were nice enough to let us use their truck to run into town for lunch...this was on New Year's Eve.... a good place to stop.

After 5 months of almost daily play, the thing that's becoming persistantly annoying are the AIs. I've set general traffic at 100%, there are more AIs listed under Views/Traffic then can to displayed on screen, and I can hear some of them on unicom. BUT, I seldom see them in the map locations I vist!
At KHEZ there has been NO AI activity in 2 days of play. Now here's the actual general aviation activity at KHEZ;
Aircraft based on the field: 29
Single engine airplanes: 22
Multi engine airplanes: 4
Jet airplanes: 1
Helicopters: 2
Aircraft operations: avg 47/day *
* for 12-month period ending 30 November 2005

IT SEEMS TO ME that when a mission is launched, the game should detect the players location and populate starting and neighboring fields with a preponderance of the AIs. That's typicaly how shooters deploy AIs.

Last edited by oldsamer on Fri May 04, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

What about something like 'just traffic' ?

That really boosted the AI count at airports I go to

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Maybe, or try fiddling around with My Traffic, both seem intimidating.

But I'm waiting to see any improvement with the service pack. Right now my impression is general avaition is distributed according to airport size. Thus small fields never see any.

Last edited by oldsamer on Fri May 04, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

oldsamer wrote:

IT SEEMS TO ME that when a mission is launched, the game should detect the players locatioin and populate starting and neighboring fields with a preponderance of the AIs. That's typicaly how shooters deploy AIs.

I don't know about the missions because the previous versions of FS I own didn't have them.

Typically though AI, whether default or add-on works according to 'time-of-day'. Needless to say that some add-ons are better in this regard than others.
With default AI you should also see a difference in density, particularly at the bigger airports at peak times.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I don't know about the missions either, I'm playing in Free flight.

I agree with Tailhook about time-of-day effecting AI activity. Been reading up a little on the philosophy of AI deployment. Game designers want AI to act like actual traffic. Their problem is the limited number of AIs. So game designers concentrate them at the larger airports and hubs because most players fly big planes between them.

The more I reflect on this, the more irritated I get. My game setup enables maybe 110 AIs, that's some amount of CPU demand. Yet the game effect on me the player is about zero because I don't fly big planes between hubs.

I'd rather have the AIs follow the player round the map, humm, that could get silly too.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

oldsamer wrote:

I'd rather have the AIs follow the player round the map, humm, that could get silly too.

Silly?? It would arouse my galloping paranoia from its slumber ROFL

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...