How will my setup handle FSX?

moikey Guest

Will my PC run FSX ok?

Specs are:
Intel Core2Duo E6420 CPU
1gb 667mhz DDR2 RAM
ASUS P5VD2-VM Motherboard

Undecided on Graphics card. How bout an ASUS P5VD2-VM. Can always upgrade system RAM to 4 gb DDR2

THANKS

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest

Your specs should be fine, especially if you are planning to overclock that CPU.

I would grab another gig of RAM, since you will be fed up with the disc activity when loading the game/flight.

Motherboard is not the best, but should do fine. About the graphics card, I would get the mid-high one if you are on budget, but definitely DX10 on (such as 8600GTS). Otherwise maybe get an 8800GTS 320MB or better.

ATI HD 2900XT should also do well in FSX, if you are considering the 8800GTS 640MB.

I recon you can get good FPS in air, while acceptable near ground, with quite good settings. That is only my view though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Here is a great site that can help you decide on graphics cards and other hardware items.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

with that mabey 10 max fps on medium high settings in dense areas. I have 1gb of memory and it is ****.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

So if I wanted to upgrade my computer, and I have 2gb of ram and a geforce nvidia 7800 gtoc what should I get more ram or a better video card?

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (astrosteve) First Officer

A better video card. I am using 2 7800GT's in SLi and 2GB of Ram and struggle to get better than 25fps on Med-High settings. Shoot for a 8600GT and up. Prefer an 8800GTX if you can afford it. My next move is 2 8600GTS in SLI.

Last edited by Steve (astrosteve) on Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

well if I get a 8800gtx or so does that mean I have to get some more ram or no?

Pro Member First Officer

bawls327 wrote:

well if I get a 8800gtx or so does that mean I have to get some more ram or no?

Well get the card first and see where you are. You can always use more Ram down the road. The video card is going to be a bigger help now. If you cannot afford the GTX get a GTS with 640Mb of ram version.

Moikey Guest

I realised that i made a mistake in my post lol. I meant to say how bout a ATI Radeon X1650 Pro (512mb GDDR2). Would that be a good choice?

Moikey Guest

What sort of frame rate shud i be lookin for on that tomshardware website? Whats adequate/good

astrosteve wrote:

A better video card. I am using 2 7800GT's in SLi and 2GB of Ram and struggle to get better than 25fps on Med-High settings. Shoot for a 8600GT and up. Prefer an 8800GTX if you can afford it. My next move is 2 8600GTS in SLI.

FSX does not take advantage of SLi.

Pro Member First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

astrosteve wrote:

Yes, thank you Mr. Guest I know that, but SLi can be turned off with a flick of a setting. The Ati X1650 will not be even close to anything but medium to medium-low settings.

Anonymous wrote:

astrosteve wrote:

PhilTaylor wrote:

b3mmredm wrote:

Does FSX now support SLi with SP1 installed? And also, does Windows Vista support SLi because i read somewhere it doesn't. Can't remember where?

As I said on my blog, ages ago, its not that FSX doesnt support SLI.

Its more that because FSX RTM was so CPU-bound SLI didnt matter until 25x16 and 16xAA.

SP1 should be more SLI friendly, but even there given we are still somewhat CPU limited its probably just going to start helping at 19x12 or 16x12.

Review sites have corroborated this.

what are 25x16 and 16xAA ???

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

This site needs to make it so that Guest can't just use the name [Guest] but have to choose something. Please people, choose a name. If you can't think of a name, use a number. Anything so that we can keep track of who's who.

Pro Member First Officer

Agreed,

'Guest' should not be aloud on the forum's. Register or login and represent yourself. It never used to be this way. STOP using 'Guest'

So an 8600 GT in Vista will run better than a 7900 GT?

8600 GT is DriectX 10 so it will perform better on this game than any directX 9 card.

I will hold off for a directX 11 card 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...