Any ATC or real pilots?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 Ok I have a question for you,I have d/loaded a real ATC flight ➡ https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/2888/as-real-as-it-gets/

Its very good......but
As I approach Milan I am told by ATC to continue high speed after fl10000
Ermm... Now I thought that under 10000 ft you had to be below 250kts or if caught you were hauled over the coals sacked,hung up by the whatsits or worse Blink 😳

So my questions What speed is high speed below 10000ft and why would they(ATC) allow it ❓

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

According to IVAO and CAA the indicated airspeed is limited to 250 KIAS below 10000 ft AMSL or FL 100. However, if requested and approved by ATC, higher speeds can be accepted. Exceptions are for military jets for which such a restriction is not operational (common speed for fighters is 300 KIAS for radar recovery or when executing an instrument approach - initial and intermediate legs).

PH Guest

As Coolsan states it is the "rulebook" speed but in the real world it is not very often adhered to and more often than not you will hear "request high speed". So long as there are no connotations re the sound barrier you will be allowed! Always helpful when you are running late as most flightplans calculate times based on 250kts below 10k.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Thanks 👍
The flight must be running late

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Very interesting, I think I will alter my procedures a little bit. I'll save my speed reduction until I'm ready to capture the glidslope. You'd best be around 250 kts. ias. before you start hanging out those flaps though.

PH Guest

It all depends on what you are flying. Having been fortunate enough to have flown the 732 and 752 it came to my attention that the 75 is a pig to slow down in comparison to the 73 thereforeslowing down starts earlier in the descent.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...