So, who thinks they could fly a real jet?

Pro Member Trainee
redjay Trainee

Ok, I know some of you guys are really skilled simulator pilots. So I was wondering, do you think you could fly a real jet (or prop) based solely on what you have learnt in FS200x?

I know a lot of you are real life pilots anyway but does any amateurs think they know their favourite aircraft well enough to be able to have a decent stab at piloting the real thing?

Personally, I wouldnt get anywhere near. I fly Learjets and small comm airliners on FS9 but I tend to have realism settings and crash detection set quite low. Obviously I wouldnt have a clue to check for takeoff weights, icing etc!

Answers 46 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

I think i could have a good stab at flying a 737 as ive flown over 500 hours in them on the sim, wether id succeed or not is a diferent story

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I have flown a prop,and the sim helped me with the control of the plane

Maybe I will make you suffer my video again Twisted Evil

Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

I wouldn't mind a try at flying a real aircraft. I know I wouldn't get too far wiht something like a 737 because I haven't gotten the hang of getting one of them powered up and off the ground. If it were powered up and ready for taxi I'd do a lot better.

Now, for something like a Cessna 172 or simmilar a/c I definately feel confident about taking control and flying it.

I would say the Cirrus SR22 I could definately fly, but that's not because it's easier to learn; just has fancier avionics which are sweet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Because of how everything in Fs is simplified, No, I could NOT fly a real jet. Something that big and that powerful in the hands of someone who only uses a joystick...Never could happen. Now if we were crashing and I was the only one with SOME knowledge of how it went, then i would try.

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

I would like to say that the sim will help you greatly on gauge positioning and looking at the panel greatly. My instructor said that Im going very fast on instrument reference lessons, and that it would be because of the simulator. but the sim leaves out a lot of things like checks of your aircraft before takeoff etc... as well as the correct procedures in operating a certain aircraft. I am sure though, that if the pilot and copilot in a 737 both had a heart attack with too much caffeine the hostess gives them, I am sure that someone with 20 hours of sim 737 could take the controls and land somewhere (even if not an airportĀ°.

Don Wood Guest

"someone with 20 hours of sim 737 could take the controls and land somewhere (even if not an airportĀ°."

That would be a real trick. The very few off-airport landings in commercial jets attempted by PROFESSIONAL AIRLINE PILOTS that I am aware of have ended in catastrophes. Every single one!. If it were easy, why do you think all commercial emergencies attempt to land at airports instead of the nearest long stretch of freeway?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

That would be a real trick. The very few off-airport landings in commercial jets attempted by PROFESSIONAL AIRLINE PILOTS that I am aware of have ended in catastrophes. Every single one!. If it were easy, why do you think all commercial emergencies attempt to land at airports instead of the nearest long stretch of freeway?

I agree Don Wood. I don't believe a simple flight simulator like this one would ever prepare anyone for flying a jet at all. As I've said, everything is WAY TOO SIMPLIFIED. I've got over 1000 hours in the 757, but that means dirt if I tried to fly a real one 😉 [/quote]

Pro Member First Officer
Mustangfreak First Officer

Of course I can. I can drive/fly anything with wheels 😎

I wish Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Mustangfreak wrote:

I wish Embarassed

I wanna see you on a unicycle ROFL

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Well, they've also come up with all those detailed aircraft, eg. PMDG 737, which I asssume are very close to reality, however, I highly doubt that anyone who is used to sitting in front of the computer can fly anything at the tick of a second. Firstly, in an aircraft, you most probably have hundreds of people you have to care for. Secondly, you have to acquire the seat of the pants feeling, or else one would just be too nervous. Even if I mastered the 737NG (which I haven't done yet), and set reaslim settings to the highest level, I may feel comfortable with the instruments, but jittery as I enter/exit major phases of the flight.

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

do you think you could fly a real jet (or prop)

Yep, and I have done so, a Piper Cherokke in fact See here: https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9986/my-aviation-dream-came-true-contains-lots-of-pictures/ and IMO I did a pretty good job at it, considering I had never touched one before.

Flight sim taught me the very basics, and I enjoy it as a hobby, but it is nothing compared to the real thing- for starters, I couldn't switch to stop view in real life, LOL 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

You could give it a fair old go as an attempt but one simple fact remains. Even though you can use the simulator you wont be able to fly a jet, at least properly that is. The simulator gives you a good background but i am 100% sure you would struggle to fly a jet properly, within reason that is.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Mustangfreak wrote:

I wish Embarassed

Can you fly a Super Markets buggy my friend?😂 😂 😂 😉

Not feel offended i just kidding 😉 .... i have seen your wish...and you are not alone on this wish Crying or Very sad Believe me. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Do I think I could fly a 737? Sure! Would I survive the experience? That's another quesion, entirely. 😂

Seriously, if by some miracle, I was able to take off, I might be able to climb, turn/bank, maintain level flight, etc. As for landing, even if I had a very long runway and was able to do a long, low, shallow approach, the odds are that I'd put a large hole in the runway. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I think i could fly a plane!anykind,really... 😀

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Being proficient at FS does not mean you can fly a plane. Actually many FS actions are "bad training" for real life aviation. We take too many shortcuts. Which one of us always trims for each new situation? Who pays attention to mixture? RPM being too high all the time (or N1 settings for that matter)? Cabin pressure?

Even if you do all those things ALL the time though, you do not get the gravitational feel, if you will, of a real aircraft. The effect of thrust, drag, lift and gravity on your body and on the control surfaces.

Do not kid yourselves 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain

Being proficient at FS does not mean you can fly a plane. Actually many FS actions are "bad training" for real life aviation. We take too many shortcuts. Which one of us always trims for each new situation? Who pays attention to mixture? RPM being too high all the time (or N1 settings for that matter)? Cabin pressure?

Even if you do all those things ALL the time though, you do not get the gravitational feel, if you will, of a real aircraft. The effect of thrust, drag, lift and gravity on your body and on the control surfaces.

Actually, I'm obssesive about those things. 🙄

But, the only time I'd attempt to fly a plane is if the flight crew were unable (Grade B movie).

If that were the case, I'd give it a try. I'd get someone t sit in the right seat and call out the airspeed so I could concentrate on keeping the correct side of the plane facing up. I'd squawk 7700 and try to get communications with someone who could point me away from populated areas.

If...I said if, I could stay airborn, I'd burn off as much fuel as possible and hope someone could guide me to where I didn't fly over zillions of people, to a runway.

Successfully landing? a 1000:1 shot. Still, it would be better than sitting with the passengers and screaming, "We're all gonna die!"

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

yeh preety much all id do, only if the flight crew were incapacitated/dead would i try to fly it, squawk 7700 contact anyone in the area and land asap

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

in a 737ng you'd probably be able to use the plane fully in autopilot mode and land it that way.

i guess i'm right? (if you had the pmdg 737ng of course)

Pro Member Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

in a 737ng you'd probably be able to use the plane fully in autopilot mode and land it that way.

If that were true, they wouldn't need pilots. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

because it's fun to fly by hand 😛

nah, but in an emergency situation you would be able to at least keep the plane in the air using the autopilot and probably have a good go at making a descent.

problem is - how the hell do you find an airport?! i think using the radios would be rather hard work.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

I agree with Bindolf here, Flight Sim is simply not realistic enough, well for my liking anyway. To add to your 'who here...', how many people judge that they are climbing at the right rate of climb by checking that their airspeed is reading 80 knots, (for a 152) and who plans out their proper flights by referring to VNC and VPC's?

I'm afraid to say that I'm almost bored of flying FS, that is one reason why I'm taking flying lessons at the local aero club. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

I've just been reading "Ask the Pilot" by Patrick Smith (very enjoyable) and he reports, I can't find the spot in the book right now, an experiment conducted by...maybe SAS? Anyway, an accomplished FS flyer (who'd done no other flight training than that) was invited to try his hand at a full-scale Airbus simulator, the type used by the airlines for training, and he was able to bring the "aircraft" in to a safe, routine landing.

No word yet on graduating the experiment to the real thing.

HL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

I need clarification on this as I am trying to find out whether the PMDG 737 has an 'Autoland' feature.

Are you saying that in the PMDG 737 'autoland is an integral part of the autopilot? 🤔

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

to be fair i don't know! i was using it as an example because i know it's so in depth. i imagine the ng and 7/800 737's have autoland as it has been implemented into other boeing aircraft i believe.

if not, you can do the the landing manually using the autopilot, adjusting fpm, speed, altitude etc.

it's definately an interesting thought. if i was ever in a situation where the pilot and first officer died, and there was no one else with any plane knowledge i'd definately have to try, with someone beside calling numbers for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

to be fair i don't know!

Don't feel bad about it, as it turns out, none of the owners of the PMDG 737 knows either.

Boy this must be one complex add-on. No wonder no-one talks about the PMDG 737 or -747 any more. And I was so looking forward to the MD-11... but as things stand, I think I'll give it a wide berth.

As it stands, you can only find out details about there add-ons after you've made a purchase. How useful is that? Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

The default "heavy" and similar aircraft in the FS are a job to be honest. They represent so little of the aircraft. Thats why i like the PMDG 737NG so much because it puts back most of the flight controls of this brilliant aircraft. With regards to one of the posts above, i have never landed a Cat IIIc ILS approach solely with autoland. I also do not know if it is/is not possible.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I think one thing that many people are forgetting here is the important background and pre flight duties flight crew participate in. Working out V speeds and many other behind the scenes tasks. The next thing I think many simmers would find difficult is how to start the aircraft...properly! If we are talking pilot incapacitation and you are the hero taking the controls....who knows all depends on how good you are and most importantly the weather and ac status. Fair weather and no tech problems I think we would all have a go but picture an ILS approach in 0-0 or a little better 300 metres vis with a 300ft cloudbase with an engine out...or even with them all working! Not too easy...having had the opportunity during my commercial flight training to spend 20 hours in a level D 752 simulator with all sorts of emergencies and weather thrown at us... I found it a challenge and my background is real world flying combined with FS to keep my instrument flying up to scratch.
Just my opinion!

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

The only realistic aircraft that I have in FS9 is the PMDG 737 and I think that if I got into a 737 flighdeck I would know what most of the gauges and switches did but I would have no idea of how it actualy handles I mean I dont no how much strength it takes to fly a jet like a 737-700 or 800. when I took a flying lesson 3 weeks ago (I have had two lesons) that I knew what most of (if not all) the guages do but after an hour of flying something as lite as the C172 I felt quite a bit tired imagane flying flyin a 747 or a340 manualy for an hour

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

PH wrote:

I think one thing that many people are forgetting here is the important background and pre flight duties flight crew participate in. Working out V speeds and many other behind the scenes tasks. The next thing I think many simmers would find difficult is how to start the aircraft...properly! If we are talking pilot incapacitation and you are the hero taking the controls....who knows all depends on how good you are and most importantly the weather and ac status. Fair weather and no tech problems I think we would all have a go but picture an ILS approach in 0-0 or a little better 300 metres vis with a 300ft cloudbase with an engine out...or even with them all working! Not too easy...having had the opportunity during my commercial flight training to spend 20 hours in a level D 752 simulator with all sorts of emergencies and weather thrown at us... I found it a challenge and my background is real world flying combined with FS to keep my instrument flying up to scratch.
Just my opinion!

Yes I have spent hours with my PMDG and FS2crew trying to do all the checklists and prechects and all the rest but still I dont understand a lot of it

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

put me in a sisorsky UH-60 jayhawk and ill show you the sky

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Because of how everything in Fs is simplified, No, I could NOT fly a real jet. Something that big and that powerful in the hands of someone who only uses a joystick...Never could happen. Now if we were crashing and I was the only one with SOME knowledge of how it went, then i would try.

Speak for yourself, many of use fly large comercial jets and land safly, it is a fact that it is easier to fly a real plane to a simulator, i know several full time pilots who, having flown on fs9 agree with me.

I dont know why this is, but it just is.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i'm having a conversation with my pilot friend now on msn.

'its easier to fly my 182 in real life'

what he means though is just controlling the plane, keeping it at a certain altitude etc - not using atc, and pre-flight etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain

The reason for that is that with FS, you are limited to looking at a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional world. There is no sense of physical movement, gravity, etc. You are handicapped by only using part of one sense and none of the others.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

There has to be some "give" either way. What I mean is that yes I'm sure flying a real plane is very different to FS. However i'm also sure that some of the limitations of FS probably make it harder.

...... could be a new series ....... celebrity Fly Away pilot 😀

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I forgot to add in my previous post...had it not been for FS '98 at the time it would have taken me much longer to gain my PPL in my humble opinion. I was fully aware of what all the instruments were for and had a good understanding of the processes involved. I finished my PPL in only 13 or 15 days this included the ground exams! (UK CAA License) The only real downside for me, as suggested earlier by another poster, is I did not have rudder pedals and found integrating this into flying difficult at first!

Before any of you yell or flame me, remember this post is coming from a real world pilot....

From a systems standpoint, I think many flightsimmer's would be able to program the A/P on a plane they are familar with. Depending on the plane, they may also be able to get it on the ground. Actually flying the plane is a whole other story...

Real world pilots feel, see, and experience things simulators can never replicate. When some guys say flying a real plane is easier than the simulator, its because of there experience and anticipation of things that happen in flight. We can feel and expect the next move the plane will make. Just flying in a chair at home can never replicate this.

Hope this helps bring some perspective....

Matt

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Perspective indeed..

Thanks for your contribution Clap

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

I agree Don Wood. I don't believe a simple flight simulator like this one would ever prepare anyone for flying a jet at all. As I've said, everything is WAY TOO SIMPLIFIED. I've got over 1000 hours in the 757, but that means dirt if I tried to fly a real one 😉

[/quote]

But what about if you were really expierenced with flying a highly detailed plane like the PMDG 737/747 and the CH yoke, rudder pedals and throttle quadrant so you were used to the actual "feel" of the controls. Surely then you would be reasonably competant at flying one of those planes in reality?

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

But what about if you were really expierenced with flying a highly detailed plane like the PMDG 737/747 and the CH yoke, rudder pedals and throttle quadrant so you were used to the actual "feel" of the controls. Surely then you would be reasonably competant at flying one of those planes in reality?

Nope.

Look at the "Guest" post above (2 posts up). Probably on the mark.

Pro Member Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

Think of this. How far do the throttles on the CH quadrant move? How far must you move the real ones to produce the results your expect. How much pressure on the deals? How much movement of the yoke?

Now before anyone mentions the simulator trained 9/11 hijackers, remember they trained on simulators considerably more sophisticated than FS9. I'd also bet that they flew most of their flight by autopilot. Further, I'd guess that the original target of the one that flew into the Pentagon, was the White House. I'd bet he couldn't manage a target that small. Maybe, he couldn't even find it.

MS advertises, "As real as it gets". Maybe that should be changed to, "As real as it gets at MS". Without being able to simulate the motion of the a/c by actually changing the position of your chair, FS does not give you the feel of motion.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Real world pilots feel, see, and experience things simulators can never replicate. When some guys say flying a real plane is easier than the simulator, its because of there experience and anticipation of things that happen in flight. We can feel and expect the next move the plane will make. Just flying in a chair at home can never replicate this.

Yep, as far as situational awareness, seeing the big picture, and actually feeling yourself flying the airplane, I would say flying a real aircraft is easier than flying one in the sim.

But, that's where it ends. The skill, and knowlege of procedures required to fly an airplane takes a long time and a lot of study to aquire even for small prop aircraft.

Being an accomplished flight sim pilot of say the PMDG 737 ng would probably allow you to get behing the controls in the co-pilot seat of a real 737 with a professional pilot telling you what to do and take off, fly the airplane and make some sort of landing.

But if you were put in the cockpit alone and told to fly to such and such airport, and land, then my advice would be to say goodbye to your loved ones...

😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

I bet i could get almost any plane or chopper in the air,fly around and land! BUT...forget any faa rules,atc conversation,checklist or anything perfect. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

I bet i could get almost any plane or chopper in the air,fly around and land! BUT...forget any faa rules,atc conversation,checklist or anything perfect. 🙄

Just let me know where you will be doing this so I can relocate if necessary. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

LooooL 😂 😂 😂

I like your style hms 😂 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

hms_endeavour wrote:

LooooL 😂 😂 😂

I like your style hms 😂 👍

Thanks gm! 😀
Crash gordon,i'm not exactly planning to do this seriously because of sanctions,But if i ever decide to,i'll tell you! 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...