ati radeon x1900/machine specs

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

Hi guys anybody using a high end ati radeon card. i mean the 512 mb cards. how good is the performance compared to a 256mb card?

How good is the ati radeon gdd3 512mb card? Yeah its a bit expensive but i wanna know its performance before i go for it.

At the moment my specs are:

intel core2 duo
2 gb ddr-2 ram
256mb ati radeon
on windows xp home edition

i get a frame rate of around 22-23 fps at above medium settings.
Any suggestions to make my performance better. i generally suffer with slow startup of FSX. Once in-game its almost ok at above medium settings.

Thanks

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Not ever having the 256mb card I can't help you there.
I can tell you that I have the 2 (Crossfire mode) ATi X1950 512mb cards and am very pleased with their performance.
The only drawback, they were bought before DX 10 so I won't be able to take advantage of that.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

yeah thats gr8 but too expensive i guess! Any idea on x1950xt? Heard the card is good.

Seeing my machine config, what difference will it make to the performance?

Suggestions please!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can change the values in the windows for the card you like.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=724&model2=723&chart=293

Right now, I'd either hold off a few months or get a DX 10 card.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
abmukh80 First Officer

thx for the link and I'm a bit surprised. The table shows none of ati cards, even with 512 mb ddr3 gives more than 17fps. Thats just not possible.

Anyways are these fps calculated at the highest graphic settings of FSX?

Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I think you better check that list again.
There quite a few ATi cards listed and as I said if you use the 3 windows at the top you can change all the values to see which is the best for you.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

I do own an ATI x1600 xt 512 MB and I satisfied for the time being. I have all my setting in the high end or close to it. U may set the auto-gen to lower performance and cloudy wither may effect your performance. I would not invest now in a card which is not DX!0 compatible.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Your video card will have very little bearing on how FSX runs, please understand this.

This is the reason that the 8800GTX is only getting a few FPS more than the 7600GT...

I purchased a DX10 8600GTS on saturday and couldnt be happier.

Pro Member Trainee
nimaflower Trainee

I am using FS2004 , CPU is 1.8 , Radeon7000 64mb , Ram 750MB .
There was not any problem until a few days ago that when I am turning to the left or right , the screen pauses and goes on in a very rapid way , it's not as smoothness as it was before .

However , when I re-install Windows XP , it is OK and after two days the screen gets shivery again when I am turning . Now my question is what kind of the problem is this ?

If something is wrong with my system , why is it gone when I re-install XP and why does it come back ?

I update my Radeon7000 to the latest driver version and I re-install FS2004 but none of this clears my problem unless I reinstall Windows XP , isn't it a weird error ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nimaflower wrote:

I am using FS2004 , CPU is 1.8 , Radeon7000 64mb , Ram 750MB .
There was not any problem until a few days ago that when I am turning to the left or right , the screen pauses and goes on in a very rapid way , it's not as smoothness as it was before .

However , when I re-install Windows XP , it is OK and after two days the screen gets shivery again when I am turning . Now my question is what kind of the problem is this ?

If something is wrong with my system , why is it gone when I re-install XP and why does it come back ?

I update my Radeon7000 to the latest driver version and I re-install FS2004 but none of this clears my problem unless I reinstall Windows XP , isn't it a weird error ?

Get a 128mb card or better.
My guess is that you need an AGP card.
Next time start your own topic and put it in the 2004 forum not the FSX forum...everyone thinks your using FSX,

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

Yes, JLANGEVin is right!

FSX is a processor (CPU) driven application. Those measly little duo2core 1.8 processors and slower aren't going to do you any justice.

2.8GHz or faster.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...