What is a fortnight???

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Someone, some where in this forum asked the question "What is a fortnight?" Don't know if anyone has answered yet - so here goes- a fortnight is fourteen nights (or fourteen days!!) Common term in the UK and comes from Old English foeyertyen niyte.
I have always said that USA and UK are two nations separated only by a common language. 😂 We won't go into the Scottish dialect where it would be pronounced foarrrtnicht!!! 😳

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

It's funny Dave because I also remembered about that question on Friday but couldn't find the posting.

I really didn't know that "Fortnight" was not used in American English!

Yip - as Dave the man said, it simply means 2 weeks....

Only real differences I know of are :-

Motorway / Freeway

Tap / Fawcet

Lift / Elevator

................ clearly need to brush up on my American English!

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

I had thought fortnight was two weeks.

Here's a few more "translations" that I am aware of re: automobile

Bonnet/hood
Boot/trunk

I watched a program on TV a number of years ago on the study of human speech including nature and modification of language. There were comparisons made between the American English and U.K. (the king's) English. I remember it being told that with the two english languages are continually changing, that possibly within 100-150 years, that citizens from these two countries will not be able to understand one another without translation. I have already seen a recent documentary where a British gent with a very strong accent was interviewed and subtitling was added. 😳

Last edited by michlin on Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain

The UK has such diverse Accents. I mean I know there are different accents in the US too because I can recognise the difference between someone from the East Coast (ie... Kevin Spacey accent), and those from the West Coast (Jack Nicholson!). But in the UK, the accent differences are vast. In England, my accent (from the North East), is sooooo different to someone in say Bristol (South West). There are specific accents in the Midlands, the North West, the South East, South West..... and that's before you look at Wales, Northern Ireland, or Scotland.... In Wales the Accent varies a lot from North to South, in Scotland there's a North to South variation but also a East to West variation.... Northern Ireland is distinctly different to the Rep. of Ireland. Listen to me - some sort of linguistics expert - not !

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't remember seeing that question but I always thought it meant 2 weeks also.
How do you understand our southern accents.
When I read what your post you sound just like me, no accent at all. 🙄
Flat=Apartment
Lorry=Truck

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
Voo Trainee

And its "Armour" not "Armor" and its "Colour" not "Color" (hehe 🙂)

gotta love those little differences between the 2 english language.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

15 days

Pro Member Captain

Yes Radarman, you're right - Within the forum we all have the same Accent, English, American, Dutch, Portuguese, Scottish, Argentinian - when you speak to someone on Flyaway they could be from just up you're street, or the other side of the globe !

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

Yes Radarman, you're right - Within the forum we all have the same Accent, English, American, Dutch, Portuguese, Scottish, Argentinian - when you speak to someone on Flyaway they could be from just up you're street, or the other side of the globe !

That's cool!!! 😀

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

15 days

How many days are in a USA week - seven and a half??? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

No, but that's going by what I heard when i was in Rome

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

davec

There are 168 hours in a week, and that divided by 24 equals 7 days.

Or... is that one of those trick questions? Read 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

michlin wrote:

The-GPS-Kid wrote:

That's cool!!! 😀

I agree with you. It is so cool having people from different countries and with different languages. 😀 And the Argentinian is here! 😛

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...