How do you interpret a SID?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I'm planning to fly from Newark to Zurich, Switzerland using SID and STARS for the first time. I need help with how to read a SID.

I'm planning to use the MERIT Departure-how do I get to that intersection? Also, the instructions told me to turn left 290 and I wanna go northeast-Is it mandatory that I make a left turn first or can I head straight to the MERIT intersection?

Please help!

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Good luck with that one man, you picked the busiest traffic zone in America... The reason why they swing you left like that is so you do not interfere with other traffic on both those runways (notice both lead you off the same way) I would make the left first they once you hit 2500, turn and head for merit... All you need to do is get out of the congested area... which merit should be far enough north so as not to get in their way... either way, I hope you do not have a lot of AI traffic there or it will be like playing dodgeball with 747s.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Belgeode is correct. This SID requires ATC input to work, ATC would vector you to the LGA-055 radial. Since you don't have true ATC vectoring in FS, I would just intercept the LGA-055 radial to Merit after climbing to 2500 ft.

I would follow the runway specific instructions to 2500 ft. then vector myself to the LGA-055 radial using a right turn to 090 degrees to intercept the LGA-055 radial and fly to Merit intersection.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

Belgeode is correct. This SID requires ATC input to work, ATC would vector you to the LGA-055 radial. Since you don't have true ATC vectoring in FS, I would just intercept the LGA-055 radial to Merit after climbing to 2500 ft.

I would follow the runway specific instructions to 2500 ft. then vector myself to the LGA-055 radial using a right turn to 090 degrees to intercept the LGA-055 radial and fly to Merit intersection.

So you're saying that it isn't mandatory to make a left turn to 290 degrees after takeoff and I could make a right turn to the LGA-055 radial right away?

My plan was that I turn to heading 290 and climb to 2,500 feet after takeoff. After I done that, I would head back east, start climbing to my cruise altitude, and intercept the LGA-055 radial to head to the MERIT intersection. Is this also a valid MERIT departure route?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

My plan was that I turn to heading 290 and climb to 2,500 feet after takeoff. After I done that, I would head back east, start climbing to my cruise altitude, and intercept the LGA-055 radial to head to the MERIT intersection. Is this also a valid MERIT departure route?

Yes, but as I stated, comply with the runway specific instructions before turning to 290.

From the SID:
TAKE-OFF RUNWAY 4L/R: Climb via heading 060, upon crossing 4 DME Rwy 4R ILS (use Rwy 4L ILS only if 4R ILS is not available). Turn left heading 290, maintain 2500 feet. Thence . . . .

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I see, now for approaching into Zurich-I know how to enter a STAR and follow through it, but how do I exit it?

One of the STAR I might choose is the Trasadingen One Zulu.

Does my STAR end after I reached and done a holding pattern at AMIKI intersection?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

KevinTsai wrote:

Does my STAR end after I reached and done a holding pattern at AMIKI intersection?

Yes, all transitions end at AMIKI intersection. The hold at AMIKI is not part of the procedure, it's only there if ATC needs to hold you because of weather or traffic delays. After AMIKI, ATC would vector you for the approach that is in use. For FS, load the approach into the GPS so that it will draw the procedure on the moving map. Use VOR/LOC needles and heading mode to vector yourself onto the final approach course and select APR mode. You will have to manage your altitude from 7000 ft at AMIKI down to the initial altitude for the approach, typically it's about 3000 ft. AGL. Don't use the GPS for course guidance(unless you're doing a GPS approach), ensure that the GPS/NAV switch is in the NAV position. Intercept and complete the ILS or approach in use.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...