FS2004 & Vista?

Pro Member Trainee
johnhuk Trainee

Hey all 😀

Just got a quick question for anyone who can help me out here..

Just bought a new PC, which is running Vista Home Premium (i believe it's the 32-bit one!) and has a Radeon X1650 SE Video Card fitted.

It's a dual core Pentium (i forget how to check the speed - sorry) and has 2GB of ram.

FS2004 installs no problem at all, and has an unbelievably quick framerate. However, when you click 'Fly Now' and the loading screen appears, a window with the following error message appears:

"Scenery read error. Attempthing to open a nonexistent directory. Click OK to continue."

When you click ok, the flight loads, but most of the scenery has not loaded, instead replaced by vast expanses of light blue.

I'd have thought that a brand new PC would be able to handle running FS2004 at full details without a problem. Is it a problem to run FS2004 on Vista?

All help greatly appreciated, as I've given up trying to get FSX to install on either the old pc, or this new one. Bought FSX in June, have yet to play it!

Thanks

johnhuk

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

A new PC will often have outdated software drivers.

1. Make sure that Vista is updated via the Microsoft website.
2. Update the driver for your video card.
3. Update the driver for your CD drive. Use a CD ROM drive for installation instead of a CD/DVD writer drive.
4. Remove and reinstall Flight Simulator 2004.

Pro Member Trainee
johnhuk Trainee

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I already tried updating the display drivers from the ATI website, and this PC only has a CD/DVD-RW, no plain CD Drive.

I don't think it's hardware, just a program glitch - it doesn't seem to be able to locate the scenery folders or something.

I've attached an in-game screenshot for you to show what is happening. The blue you can see is all around every airport at about a 30 mile radius.

Hope this helps.

johnhuk

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee
johnhuk Trainee

Thanks CRJCapt,

That has sorted the problem! Surprised

I wonder if FSX will install following the same steps? hmmmm Twisted Evil

Thanks again for your help!

johnhuk

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...