FS 2004 problem in Vista Home Premium

Pro Member Trainee
flyrv Trainee

Just received my new computer with Vista OS. I have only loaded FS2004. I found that when I minimized the program from the introductory flight screen (to adjust the volume), it would not go back to full screen. I am new to Vista but I find with other programs when you place the cursor over the minimized icon on the tool bar, you see a thumbnail of that screen. Not so with FS2004. If I keep clicking on the FS2004 minimized icon, the screen goes black (no video). Is anyone else having this problem. Is it a bad load or do I need to update some driver or something to run it on Vista? Appreciate any help.

Joe

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I don't have Vista but you could try holding down <Alt> and pressing <Enter>. See what happens 🤔

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

flyrv wrote:

Just received my new computer with Vista OS. I have only loaded FS2004. I found that when I minimized the program from the introductory flight screen (to adjust the volume), it would not go back to full screen. I am new to Vista but I find with other programs when you place the cursor over the minimized icon on the tool bar, you see a thumbnail of that screen. Not so with FS2004. If I keep clicking on the FS2004 minimized icon, the screen goes black (no video). Is anyone else having this problem. Is it a bad load or do I need to update some driver or something to run it on Vista? Appreciate any help.

Joe

Did you load new drivers for your card and are they for Vista.
Many of the new ones out are beta drivers try not to use them.

Radar

Alberto Salamanca Guest

Hello,

I've been having a similar problem with VISTA and FS2004. The regular cockpit view won't work in normal window mode. It does work perfectly well in FULL SCREEN mode. The problem is that the outside panoramic view freezes. The instruments work well however and the flight continues normally. The outside screen freezes though.. I have a Nvidia GEForce 7800 GT 256 mb, 2 GB Ram Core2 Duo processor.

Switching back to full screen mode works perfectly well. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,

Alberto Salamanca

g-dunx Guest

I am getting exactly the same problem with FS2004 in Vista Ultimate using GeForce Go 7600, the outside view from the regular cockpit view freezes in normal mode, but works fine in Full Screen mode. Its not the program freezing as the plane is still flying and the gauges still work.

I have tried the latest nVidia drivers, but still the same - has anyone cured this problem?

Guest222 Guest

I'm having the same problem too. It is freezing on me but when I switch to full screen mode, everything is fine. What the hell is going on?

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

OH NO, i've just bought a new pc with vista that's still in the box and i don't like the sound of this 😞 .

g-dunx Guest

I HAVE SOLVED THIS PROBLEM - YIPEEE !!!!

Vista uses a desktop scheme called AERO, which is enabled by default.

This does all the fancy stuff like 3d previews of program windows, etc, however it causes the FS9 screen to freeze if you are in anything but full screen mode.

The solution - turn of AERO and use 'standard' windows settings.

1. Right click on the desktop, select Personalize
2. Select 'Window Colour & Appearance'
3. Select 'Windows Standard', then 'OK'

(This option can also be set in windows Control Panel - Personalization)

Now you can use FS9 on Vista in non-full screen mode.

Happy flying.

G-DUNX
Simaviators.co.uk

My personal view of Vista:-

I have seen and heard lots of bad things about Vista, from my experience it seems to be more a case of people haven't yet worked out how to make Vista do the things the used to do in 2000/XP.

Yes it's still early days for Vista and yes there will be bugs, but ME/2000/XP were all the same.

The key thing is to get to know Vista and how it differs from 2000/XP. So far I have only found a couple of older programs that don't work on Vista, but each one has a newer version that does, so hunt around.

Pro Member First Officer
Corgi First Officer

Great post G-DUNX

Works a treat, I have been looking for this fix for ages, thanx a lot

Corgi 😀

Pro Member Captain
Chris Morris (morris91) Captain

Im running Windows HP and flying FS9 and mine seems to work fine.

Never had a problam with it.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...