Reloading Approaches into the GPS

Pro Member Trainee
Andy645 Trainee

The GPS occasionaly looses the approach selection for KLVK. It should show an ILS to 25R, but doesn't. Although, when I arrive at the airport I can dial in the approach freq. and fly it without the GPS.
Anyone know how to update/reload all the approaches into the GPS?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

PROC (procedures) page ought to do it... click enter to see all approaches so you can select one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Andy645 wrote:

The GPS occasionaly looses the approach selection for KLVK. It should show an ILS to 25R, but doesn't. Although, when I arrive at the airport I can dial in the approach freq. and fly it without the GPS.
Anyone know how to update/reload all the approaches into the GPS?

The GPS has no connection with the ILS. The ILS procedures in the GPS are just for situational awareness, the GPS is not used to fly an ILS approach. The GPS is used to fly GPS approaches and VOR approaches. The GPS data bank can't be updated or changed. As belgeode pointed out, use the Procedure button to select the approach. You still have to activate the approach. Once you pass within a certain geometry to the approach points, they will sequence to the next fix such as the missed approach fix. The direction that you approach the runway is very important. If the approach drops out, you have to load and activate it again just as you did in the initial steps. I suggest that you wait until you're about 15 minutes (25 miles in Cessna 172) from destination before activating the approach. You may have to over fly the airport or maneuver to the correct side of the airport. When you load an approach, you must choose Vectors or a named FIX transition.

Transitions

Named FIX: This would be used if you wanted to fly from a nearby navigational aid(navaid) such as a VOR or intersection and will route you to and along the approach course. Approaches have only a couple of points and may not match up with your arrival direction. If you activate a fix, it will send you directly to that navaid or point. Many times it will complete a 180 degree course reversal called a procedure turn. It can get complicated. This is used in non radar environments and also called "the full approach".

Vectors: This is more realistic and normal way when ATC is available. When you chose Vectors. You (or ATC) has to put the aircraft on a heading that will intercept the extended centerline of the approach. The approach will show a white line fro the Final approach Fix (FAF) out about 10 miles and magenta from the FAF to the airport. You don't have to actually hit the white line but only the extended centerline of the approach to intercept it. Normally as you approach the destination, you switch from GPS navigation to VOR/LOC and fly a heading to the final approach course. Once on the correct heading, activate Approach mode on the autopilot and intercept and fly the ILS. FS ATC is not very good. It may work better if you vector yourself.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...