those dreaded flying tips

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

how can i turn them off? i cant find the box to uncheck anywhere! it keeps telling me that my heading indicator is incorrect, press: "D"
but when i do, nothing happens and the message comes right back. when i shut off the engines it tells me to start them.
I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RUNNING, IT'S BECAUSE I SHUT THEM OFF!!!!
AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Ahh if I remember correctly under options for realism.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

belgeode wrote:

Ahh if I remember correctly under options for realism.

belgeode is right although when I did that it didnt work for me. Go to options then general and there will be a box for display cockpit tool tips. I would just get rid of both if you dont like those tips saying your engine isnt start it please start it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

cheezyflier wrote:

how can i turn them off? i cant find the box to uncheck anywhere! it keeps telling me that my is incorrect, press: "D"
but when i do, nothing happens and the message comes right back. when i shut off the engines it tells me to start them.
I KNOW THEY ARE NOT RUNNING, IT'S BECAUSE I SHUT THEM OFF!!!!
AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the one Gentlemen ==>> Settings - Realism: Top of the page on the right uncheck the box preceding "Display flying tips" --it's easy to miss it.

bawls it's odd that it didn't work for you 🤔 Your suggestion to get rid of the cockpit tool tips can be a double-edged sword though. I have to rely on some of those like the values that are part of the AP such as Alt HDG etc. Of course if you have good eyesight you don't need that. 😉

cheezyflier just by the by that 'heading indicator' message seems to only appear with certain aircraft in my case. But as you say, once it appears it keeps coming back. I'm beginning to think that the solution to this problem lies elsewhere.

I have also been using Julie Rhodes' 'Messagekill' for for a long time now. It's just an altered language.dll and has never caused me any problems - these days I wouldn't wanna be without it:

Deletes practically all of the pop up scroll bar messages that normally appear in FS2004 including, FLiGHT SIMULATOR PAUSED - PRESS P TO CONTINUE, BRAKES, PARKING BRAKE SET, CRASH, INSTANT REPLAY, STALL, OVERSPEED, MAIN EXIT OPENING/CLOSING, TAILHOOK UP/DOWN, WINGS FOLDING, among others. The flight video pop-up lables such as recording speed, ect, have also been erased completely.

In addition, view labels such as SPOT, COCKPIT, VIRTUAL COCKPIT, and TOWER are also eliminated, including the current zoom value displays.

That's from the Readme file and you can get it here ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=messagekill.zip&Author=&CatID=root

😎

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

I had the same problem awhile back, i was able to turn off the flying tips. But now when i press D, it doesn't fix the problem either. I get a voice that says D, P, S. When i press A, i get the voice saying altitude. So maybe i should not have turned it off.

stocz2

Pro Member Chief Captain

stocz do you have fspassengers? those keys will give you sounds cause they are waiting for you to input the manual changes.

example- Altitude change on autpilot... press A then the three numbers for your new alt.... like 350, and the voice will tell you you are set for FL350.

If you do not have fspassengers.... disregard what i just said.

Pro Member Trainee
stocz2 Trainee

stocz do you have fspassengers? those keys will give you sounds cause they are waiting for you to input the manual changes.

Yes i do have FSP. Thanks belgeode

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

cheezyflier just by the by that 'heading indicator' message seems to only appear with certain aircraft in my case. But as you say, once it appears it keeps coming back. I'm beginning to think that the solution to this problem lies elsewhere.

An update on my own little problem as outlined above. (BTW I do not use FS-Pax). It was Jordan Moore's H-412 that kept nagging me with the 'heading indicator' message - what a drag, it's such a great a/c. I should mention that I had in the past added a plethora of extra textures which is not to say that any of those textures caused the problem.
Yesterday I got rid of the lot, downloaded the exact same H-412 file from Hovercontrol for a second time, installed it and this new install lets me fly the H-412 without having to press <D> continuously.

Moral of the story:

Files can become corrupted over time - why and how only the Gods and Microsoft know. 🙂)

Pro Member Chief Captain

Don't let his smug look fool you... Bill Gates has no idea....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Haha... that's why I said Microsoft - I don't think Bill remembers that he's affiliated with MS 😳

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

the a/c that was giving me the mesage was a heli that i got from HC.
however, pressing "D" has never had any effect what-so-ever. since i turned off the flying tips (thank you) they have not returned.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...