Those "anchor airports"

Pro Member Trainee
crossland99 Trainee

I've had FS for over a year now, but I haven't tried the Caravan Amphibian yet. I'm planning on trying it soon, but I have a question for those of you who've got some flight time in it.

About those "anchors" that denote water runways. Are there dire consequences if you land on some random stretch of ocean or big lake? I realize that they probably put water runways in predominantly calm deep water, but are there other considerations?

One source of my confusion is because of the lake by my Mom's house, where I grew up. Pontoon planes would land and take off every so often during the summers, which was fun to watch. That lake is accurately represented in the game in shape, size and location, but there's no little anchor on it.

Any ideas?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

There are officially designated Seaplane bases just as there are officially designated land airports. These locations are surveyed for dangers and often have services such as fuel or maintenance. No Federal law prevents you from operating a land or seaplane , outside of restricted, prohibited, TFR or military bases, wherever you think it's safe. The type of land(private or public) plays a part in the determination. Some local and state authorities limit where aircraft can operate within their jurisdiction. Insurance companies have an entirely different view on the subject. Here's a link to the FAA Seaplane manual. 🙂

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/seaplane_handbook/

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...