B747 Approach speed

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

What is the ideal approach and final approach KIAS for the 747, it seems like I always come in too slow.......

Thank you all.

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello Ohiosimmer! Here's the answer:
When you intercept the localizer, you have to establish a speed of 220 KIAS.
When you lower your flaps to 5-10 degrees, reduce your speed to 200 KIAS. When you get to 200 KIAS, lower your flaps to 20 degrees and reduce your speed to 180 KIAS. When you get to 180 KIAS, put your landing gear down, and after that set the flaps to 25 degress or full. You will come perfectly.
Now, when you are on final glideslope descent, reduce your speed to 170 KIAS. Finally, landing speed is 160 KIAS.

I hope this help you.

PH Guest

I think those are good ballpark figures but remember you must take into account aircraft weight and flap setting. B752 for example at 62 tons Vref flap 30 is 107KIAS for 110 Vref 30 is 149KIAS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Ok, back to the 747. Supplementing Agus0404's info (sometimes I wonder why i worry, Agus0404 always seems to catch these when i'm gone...i should take a vacation!)

Landing Approach Speed

Mind you, this is Vref, Landing Gear Down

880,000lb, flaps 25 - 188KIAS

880,000lb, flaps 30 - 181KIAS

450,000lb, Flaps 25 - 134KIAS

450,000lb, flaps 30 - 129KIAS

Pretty much, Follow Agus's advice untill you turn final, or are on glideslope descent.

Happy Flying!

Pro Member Trainee
Ohiosimmer Trainee

Thanks FEM, PH, and Augus

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well, you're very welcome!

Good Luck with 'er!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Hmm, FEM won this time. He was faster than me to answer the post.

Anyway, you're welcome Ohiosimmer. We will always help you with your problems, like if we were psychologists. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Odd...it shows Agus answered way before I did in the post...flyaway's possesed???!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Really? That's odd, yes. Haha, so, it seems that I won again 😎
😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

We may have to kungfu fight!

Pro Member Chief Captain

If you wish....come over here, if you dare... I'm gonna punch you really hard, so be prepared

Last edited by Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) on Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total
whitenack Guest

Alright, alright! Break it up! Nothing to see here, move along! Tongue Twist

Hey guys, how do you know all these things? Is there a tutorial that tells you these numbers, or are these just from experience? Do you keep all this stuff on a notepad for later reference or do you just have it memorized?

Thanks,

Pro Member Chief Captain

We are smart guys 😉
I know all this information because I am an aviation lover and I have a folder where I keep all my information about aircraft, navigation, ATC, checklists, etc, etc, etc. Now, I like to fly using my checklists. Every pilot does that. And I'm kind of used to it, so I know all those numbers.
I get all the information from the Learning Center. I print what I want and then I put it on my folder.

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

Never admit having the Folder Agus 😂 😉 Keep the info but never admit the folder!

(I have one too with printed logo's of all th major Ailines on the front!).

Pro Member Chief Captain

I like my folder, hehe. Lots of information.

You have a cool front. Mine is all blue, a dark blue. It's pretty cool, but I'd like to put some logos or a cockpit on the front.

Pro Member Chief Captain

All my Info came either from Delta VA's PDF files, or the Learning Center

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...