Meigs Field destroyed by Mayor Daley

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

😞 .. I found out today that Chicago Mayor Daley has destroyed the Meigs Field airport outside Chicago. This is per AOPA. We can still fly into the field on flight sim but it does not exist in real life.

Jimmy

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

I heard about this some weeks ago. I was surprised that the FAA would allow a local government to close down an airport without a hearing, or any type of advance notice. If they can do it to Meigs Field I guess that they can do it to any airport they want to close down. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-157x.html

Radar

In this URL that Radarman posted, as shown in the images, there still remains 14 aircraft at Meigs after the runway has been torn up. Do you think they will removed these a/c on barges, or will they fly out using the taxiway? Surprised

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

That bastard did it almost a year ago. The state had a 5 year contract with Daley and the fed govt. that at least gave Meigs field 5 more years. That was done to prevent that S.O.B. Daley from turning it into a park back in the late 90s. As soon as the contract was over he wasted no time bulldozing the runway. I've also read that Daley was deliberately making access to Meigs difficult for pilots by posting cops at the entrance that would hassle and harass anyone going into the airport. It just proves to me that Mayor Daley is just as goddamned crooked as his father was. Remmember the million dead people who voted for Kennedy in '60? I think it would be poetic justice if some poor pilot ran out of gas a few miles short of O'Hare and couldn't land at Meigs to crash into Daley's limo and do him in. If the pilot survived I would personally buy him a drink and give him a medal. By the way, I've been a card carrying member of AOPA since '95.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😳 This sort of action really makes you wonder how they get away with it $$ ❓

michlin, I have read somewhere that they were allowed to take off from the taxiways(which had not been dug up)

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

leadfoot wrote:

... I think it would be poetic justice if some poor pilot ran out of gas a few miles short of O'Hare and couldn't land at Meigs to crash into Daley's limo and do him in...

Uh huh... fitting indeed if that were to happen to Daley! And about the million stiffs who voted for Kennedy in'60. That was done with the help of Papa Joe Kennedy's Blush friends the mafia goombahs 🙄 <budda bing - budda boom>

TTT,
Thanks!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...