AIRCRAFT PAINT JOBS/TEXTURES

Pro Member Trainee
bearboy Trainee

Hello, I have fs2004 with Ultimate Traffic installed. I see a lot of planes with textures from diffrent commercial carriers, but I am wondering why I can not fly planes with these paint job variations, obviously they are installed on my computer somewhere..is there any way to use them or any program or utility i can get that would make this possible.

Thanks !

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

bearboy wrote:

Hello, I have fs2004 with Ultimate Traffic installed. I see a lot of planes with textures from diffrent commercial carriers, but I am wondering why I can not fly planes with these paint job variations, obviously they are installed on my computer somewhere..is there any way to use them or any program or utility i can get that would make this possible.

Thanks !

You have to change the .air file. The default number for AI aircraft is '2' but you have to change it to '0' thus, the aircraft will be flyable. Im not sure you wan't to do that 😕 😉

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

i agree with cheecks because when you make the aircraft flyable it'll flood your aircraft inventory and will take fs2004 longer to load.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

bearboy wrote:

Thanks !

You have to change the .air file. The default number for AI aircraft is '2' but you have to change it to '0' thus, the aircraft will be flyable.

Just out of curiosity Cheeks, how would you have bearboy change the .air file anyway? Umm...

Pro Member Captain
acepilot32 Captain

yea how do you?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

My point is that this is probably the wrong approach. In order to edit the .air file you need an editor.
To make an AI aircraft flyable is much easier and has been discussed many times. Why would you wanna make an AI aircraft flyable anyway? Even if you do, they never look as good as non-AI aircraft and why would you go through the trouble when all those aircraft are available anyway (for fs9).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Remember that post I had to ask for AirEd? Well, I wanted it so I could edit the .air file, you need AirEd 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

Remember that post I had to ask for AirEd? Well, I wanted it so I could edit the .air file, you need AirEd 😉

Yes I remember very well, you need an air file editor if you want to edit the .air file; but bearboy certainly won't need the editor if he wants to make AI-aircraft flyable.

Pro Member Trainee
bearboy Trainee

Well Thanks for your replies!

I am not looking to make all AI aircraft flyable. For example I have seen Lear45's painted as Continental Express or US Airways. All I would like to be able to do is fly the lear with these paintjobs. Does that require me to modify the AIR file?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

bearboy wrote:

Does that require me to modify the AIR file?

Absolutely not. What you want is just the textures/repaints or skins however you wanna call it. You look for the aircraft in the file libraries and see what kind of additional textures are available.
In other words you download a texture for the aircraft and add it - how that is done should be explained in the Readme file that comes with it.
If the Readme file isn't clear enough, there are good tutorials available.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

bearboy wrote:

Does that require me to modify the AIR file?

Absolutely not. What you want is just the textures/repaints or skins however you wanna call it. You look for the aircraft in the file libraries and see what kind of additional textures are available.
In other words you download a texture for the aircraft and add it - how that is done should be explained in the Readme file that comes with it.
If the Readme file isn't clear enough, there are good tutorials available.

If you don't want to use a tutorial, you can always PM me 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...