why dont airlines paint wings different colors?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Because paint is heavy, it is not too good to paint wings 😉

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

emerald_flag wrote:

so if i started an airline could i paint the wings if i wanted to?

Yes but it wouldn't be very economical 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I don't know, but maybe you won't even get enough lift for take-off 😳

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

besides adding weight, there is also the shape of the wing to consider. when you fly through hail or a swarm of bugs you'll chip the paint, changing the shape of the wing. also, cracks and chips in the paint will encourage icing, and that's a big no-no. not to mention chipped up paint looks real crappy. paint may also inhibit the slippery-ness of the wing because the microscopic surface of the paint may not be as smooth as the metal. a wing with a problem like that may experience an accelerated metal fatigue.

Disclaimer: i'm no aeronautical engineer, nor do i play one on TV.
the preceding statements are only "best guesses" on my part and should not be accepted as fact until confirmed by someone who actually knows.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...