Lookin' for lights

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

I'm looking for some lighting that will wash an area, like a small parking lot, with light. Anyone know of such a thing for FSX? Freeware or payware, it doesn't make any difference. I need some lights.
Idea Idea Idea Idea
Thanks in advance ... Art

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

i know of one thats called shockwave 3D lights.
check here...
http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1298

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks honuala,
Shockwave looks great. It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm gonna get it anyway. How can you go wrong for ten bucks? What I really want is a source which will sit on top of a pole and shine down to the surface, such as a parking lot. Maybe there's a way to adapt this product to do that. I have some light pole "scenery objects", the lamps light up, but they don't emit light to the ground. Maybe there's something out there that will fit my requirement.
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

oic i dont think that program will work. it only loads onto the planes. there have been issues with that program not loading on to planes. what i did was as it was installing what ever plane that it couldnt load on i would delete that folder and restart the instal. once all was done i went back to my recycle bin and restored all aircraft files that i deleted and works just fine. good luck and if i find something i'll post it here

Pro Member First Officer

I got the program and it seems to work fine. According to their specs you're supposed to be able to install lights on third party aircraft, but there are no instructions on how to do so. I e-mailed them about that and also mentioned my other lighting needs. Who knows, perhaps they will come up with something.
Best regards and thanks again ... Art 🙄

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

not a problem if you find one for the parkng lights let me know i would be interested in it

Pro Member First Officer

I can't believe that with over one hundred thousand members of this forum that only 162 viewed my post and only one responded. Where is everybody? All I need are some commercial type lamp posts that emit light. Help, someone please! 😞
Art

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

effieveda wrote:

I can't believe that with over one hundred thousand members of this forum that only 162 viewed my post and only one responded. Where is everybody? All I need are some commercial type lamp posts that emit light. Help, someone please! 😞
Art

Sorry there was a cyber lamp post convention over the weekend so all of us cyber lamp post experts are quite busy.

Pro Member First Officer

Hi faust1200,
I know. I was there, but nobody could help me. That's why I posted here. I thought for sure that someone with your intellect would reply with some useful information. I guess I should look elsewhere.
Thanks for your half-assistance.
Regards ... Art 😉

Pro Member First Officer
faust1200 First Officer

Lol. Obviously if I had the answer I would tell you. My post was just my way of illustrating that it is a pretty obscure thing you expect the community to have knowledge of.

Pro Member First Officer

Hello faust1200,
I'm sure that if you were able to, you would help, and for that, I thank you. Obscure? I don't think so. Just set up a Beech Baron at a grass airstrip at midnight. Go to cockpit > cockpit, switch on the landing light, hit the "W" key a couple of times and you'll see what I'm looking for. So it would seem that the ability to cast light already exists. Question is, how to get it out of the Beech and on top of a pole. Someone, somewhere should be able to give me some direction as to how to accomplish that effect. I'm sure that such a thing would be a piece of cake for one of those computer experts out there. 😕
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member Trainee
SkOrPn--7 Trainee

effieveda wrote:

I got the program and it seems to work fine. According to their specs you're supposed to be able to install lights on third party aircraft, but there are no instructions on how to do so. I e-mailed them about that and also mentioned my other lighting needs. Who knows, perhaps they will come up with something.
Best regards and thanks again ... Art 🙄

I can't help with your first question but I can with this..... When you install Shockwave it installs and backs up your original files inside the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" folder and there you will find a folder called "ShockwaveLights" inside that folder is the manual and how it's done etc called "Shockwave_3D_lights_Redux_manual.pdf". Hope that helps and if you get stuck adding light I may have some of the config files your after.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks SkOrPn--7,
Shockwave replied to my e-mail and instructed me as to finding the manual, and sure enough, it was right where they (and you) said it would be. I haven't had time to play with it yet though. Regarding those config files, I sure would appreciate it if you could send what ever you're willing to share (e-mail would work for me or what ever is easiest for you). Incidently, they said what I was trying to do with lighting was not possible. Well, we'll see about that. I consider that as a challange!
Best regards ... Art 😀

Pro Member Trainee
SkOrPn--7 Trainee

effieveda wrote:

Thanks SkOrPn--7,
Shockwave replied to my e-mail and instructed me as to finding the manual, and sure enough, it was right where they (and you) said it would be. I haven't had time to play with it yet though. Regarding those config files, I sure would appreciate it if you could send what ever you're willing to share (e-mail would work for me or what ever is easiest for you). Incidently, they said what I was trying to do with lighting was not possible. Well, we'll see about that. I consider that as a challange!
Best regards ... Art 😀

Check your private message.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks SkOrPn--7,
That was very kind of you. Out of all the files you sent, the only one I have need for is the RealAir Scout series and they look fantastic. Now what I'm having trouble with is my collection of Milton Shupe's wonderful Aero Commanders. I can't seem to get the landing lights to work no matter what I do. Possibly you or Shockwave could be of assistance with that one. I just registered with Shockwave's forum so maybe someone there can help too. Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate what you did for me. 😀
Best regards ... Art

Pro Member Trainee
SkOrPn--7 Trainee

Your welcome and I'm sorry but I only have small prop planes in my hanger as I have no interest in jets etc. If you read that PDF manual and place those files in the correct place then all you have to do is shift and adjust the numbers to align the light to your taste.

It's all trial and error and can be very frustrating making minor adjustments. Just a tip work on one light at a time and when you have it to your liking then set the (+-) to duplicate the other light if there are twin lights etc.

I'm afraid I can't help with any aircraft outside what I gave you because I don't own them so there is no way to test them. 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...