Biplanes

Pro Member Trainee
cpltom Trainee

Ahhh, even you guys who are flying the huge monster flying cities gotta love the look and nostalgia of the old biplanes. In fact a search for those is what led me to this site in the first place.

I downloaded all the ones available here, and I have to say that the Fokker is sweet, but that thing went from Coppenhagen to Tokyo? 😳
So what did it take, five years or something to compleate?

Honnestly, I love flying that thing, but are there any other biplanes, or triplanes, in the works? Payware or not, I am at least interested in looking at it.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You do realize that in those days TV dinners didn't exist and you had to provide your own sustenance...

Here we go anyway, just a few I found on the quick, I'm sure there are more out there.

Here is the 'Red Baron' Tri-plane... not sure whether it's free or payware but have a look around the site, they also have other bi-planes: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2921/fsx-fokker-dr1-triplane-red-baron/

Pro Member Trainee
cpltom Trainee

OOOOOHHH ,, 😀

Thanks Tailhook 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You're most welcome cpltom. Take some screenies... and remember there are sharks in the drink 😳
😀

Pro Member Trainee
cpltom Trainee

Hehehe 😀
I'll remember that Tailhook.

Just because everyone likes to remind me about the sharks, a little bit of trivia for you.

The battle for Peleliu (this started the shark thing) was probably the worst battle the First Marine Division faught durring WWII, with over 50% casualties (SOP was to consider a unit unfit to continue at 15%). Once the island was taken, the airbase there was where the float plane that found the survivers from the Indianapolis came from after the ship had been sunk and they had been in the water for several days.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I do appreciate this kind of trivia cpltom. I admit that whatever I might have read in the past about the battle for Peleliu has at least temporarily disappeared from my memory.... did James Michener write about it in 'Tales of the South Pacific'? But then it could have been quite ficticious, of course.

Incidentally, about a month ago or so I picked up a 5-disk DVD set entitled: 'Crusade In The Pacific'. To my great shame I haven't yet watched a single disk and of course have no idea if there's gonna be any footage about that battle. But then there's always Google.

As terrible as all those battles - and for that matter all wars were, historically I'm most drawn to the historical aspects of the WWII Pacific Theatre and the Vietnam War.

Regarding Bi-Planes in FS: I'm still running fs9 and picked up a very decent Sopwith Camel - I'd have no qualms to try it out in FSX considering that there aren't many (if any) gauges to be concerned about. I've always enjoyed flying the 'Camel' (also in other sims) with the narrow landing gear, no tail wheel and if you touch down a bit too fast and apply the brakes, you'll bury your prop in the dirt.

I just thought of a real beauty you might want to try in FSX though it was made for fs9:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2922/fs2004-albatross-diii/

As with the Camel, I'd suggest you just install the aircraft itself, don't worry about the gauges at this stage, hand fly it for a bit and if it doesn't behave in FSX, it'll be easy to delete. (BTW, the effects, if there are any, don't usually cause any problems).
This Albatross, despite the very few downloads it enjoyed, is an absolute ripper -- reminiscent of the barn storming days. If you can get it to work to your satisfaction in FSX, you'll even forget about the sharks 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...