Extreme FSX problem

Pro Member First Officer
walesdragon First Officer

Okay, So I've tried to play FSX recently and I have to tell you, it works pretty good but the catch is that I have to have it windowed and restored down (but I have the ends of the window right to the end of the screen so it's basically like playing a full-screen windowed mode of FSX).

So I play a bit more and I decide to maximize the window. BAM! Computer restarts INSTANTLY. This happens every time now. VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING because I could play with VERY good graphics on the restored-down mode and it looks very good. I don't seem to know what the problem is. I used an air-compressor to clean out the comp today as it was filled with dust but there is still no joy.

Please help, My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ 2.00 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

HELP PLEASE!!!! I WAS REALLY ENJOYING FSX WHILE IT LASTED =((((

Ps: This happens with FS2004 too.

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

Sounds like a directx problem, run dxdiag in 'run', run some tests under the display tab. e.g. directdraw.
If this runs fine, try turning downing down your hardware acceleration, to see if that has any impact

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

As soon as the loading screen pops up @ 0% or 1% hit ALT-ENTER for FSX.

Pro Member First Officer

Razgr1z912 wrote:

As soon as the loading screen pops up @ 0% or 1% hit ALT-ENTER for FSX.

I always have FSX and FS2004 Windowed ;D

Warlord, I carried out the tests but I failed a few of them because my monitor's resolution doesn't go as low as the tests want it to go. But The other ones that I COULD do, I passed. I put the hardware acceleration to around half way and I'm going to check if it works.

Wish me luck =P

Pro Member First Officer

Nope still not working.

Pro Member First Officer

O.K., this is starting to sound OS related, is this happening on other games as well?
Trust me we'll work this out to hell and back, I know what its like, but its usually something thats been overlooked.
Just as a precautionary, it always ran fine before didn't it?, before you did something?(update/install)
And yes, if anyone has had the same experience we could do with your support, so this issue can be dealt with once and for all, thankyou.
I have not had this issue myself, so I do not have the answer, but will do my best to work through it with you to work it out 😉

Pro Member Trainee
kin3 Trainee

Just a thought, do you have an anti-virus running? If so turn it off and try it. What other programs if any are running in the background? Do you have the current drivers for your graphic card?

Pro Member First Officer

To be honest, we have an absolutely crap graphics card.
Even worse, when I play FSX (on restored down mode obviously) the display usually freezes but the sound keeps playing and I have to adjust the size of the restored-down view to 'un-freeze' it.

Very frustrating!!!1!!

Pro Member First Officer

Problem solved Dude.... I cannot stand to see another Aussie in need of a graphics card update, P L E A S E send me your addresss details and i will personaly send a new 8800 gtx in your general direction , pm me. as long as you promise to see me online in fsx!!!!!!!!

Pro Member Trainee
harleyman52 Trainee

New cards...Stands in line....LOL

But that is probably due to a bad stick of memory or mem slot.....

Happens all the time..Just as you described it.....

Pro Member First Officer

harleyman52 wrote:

Nah man, the last video card I had was pathetic. It would restart INSTANTLY as soon as I maximized it. Since my new video card arrived, no problems have occurred. My shockingly ad video card is now going into my laptop which currently has an even worse video card inside, CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT lol!

Pro Member Trainee
harleyman52 Trainee

Cool...I didn'r realize your card was that bad...LOL good you got it going .... 😀

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

You need more RAM. Period.

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

harleyman52 wrote:

Bad RAM will show itself before you get the chance to start a game or anything else. A bad RAM stick will cause boot up problems from the start. Once I built a computer and had bought a RAM stick that was bad; and even though I actually had 2 RAM sticks in the computer...because one was bad, the computer wouldn't even boot to Windows. It froze at the BIOS screen. I doubt that he'd even get Windows running let alone any applications (e.g. a video game).

And...While we all want more RAM, for WindowsXP, 1GB RAM is plenty of RAM to run FSX. I only have 1 GB and I don't have any problems with this game AT ALL! (ALL the problems that I have are related to an outdated video card). The recommended minimum RAM is 1GB for WinXP. If you're running Vista, then you'll probably need 2 GB because Vista is a resource hog. FSX itself only needs 1 GB. Will it run better with more? MAYBE...but just because your hardware HAS more RAM, doesn't mean that the computer always uses it.

My vote goes to: an inadequate video card.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

totallyfrozen wrote:

harleyman52 wrote:

Bad RAM will show itself before you get the chance to start a game or anything else. A bad RAM stick will cause boot up problems from the start. Once I built a computer and had bought a RAM stick that was bad; and even though I actually had 2 RAM sticks in the computer...because one was bad, the computer wouldn't even boot to Windows. It froze at the BIOS screen. I doubt that he'd even get Windows running let alone any applications (e.g. a video game).

And...While we all want more RAM, for WindowsXP, 1GB RAM is plenty of RAM to run FSX. I only have 1 GB and I don't have any problems with this game AT ALL! (ALL the problems that I have are related to an outdated video card). The recommended minimum RAM is 1GB for WinXP. If you're running Vista, then you'll probably need 2 GB because Vista is a resource hog. FSX itself only needs 1 GB. Will it run better with more? MAYBE...but just because your hardware HAS more RAM, doesn't mean that the computer always uses it.

My vote goes to: an inadequate video card.

My vote goes to: CRAPPY CPU AND VIDEO CARD

Pro Member First Officer

My vote goes to: CRAPPY RAM

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

My vote goes to: CRAPPY RAM

My vo...forget it... AND THAT TOO!! 😂

Pro Member First Officer

CRAPPY RAM WINS THE ELECTION! Oh, wait...

Lol, hopefully I'll be getting extra RAM, if not NEW RAM.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

We all know tha Vista loves RAM, so if you have Vista, don't settle for the recommended requirements; get at least 3Gb of RAM. You can go as high as you want in RAM (although Vista will only see three and use less) but never go below the recommended amount.

Once you fixed that problem, you still have two more to deal with: your processor and your video card.

You can run everything at minimum graphics settings (but after a while you won't), but FSX loves processing speed, just like Vista loves RAM, so you need to address that issue also. Once you start flying into crowded airspace, your frame rates will start going down and its going to suck flying.

If you have a Intel processor, start learning how to overclock.

If you have an AMD XP processor (and I am going to hate to say this), get an Intel processor.

In my experience with AMD processors, they are great processors, but you can not overclock them well....you would have to buy a more powerful processor, which aren't cheap. I currently have a Intel 1.86 Ghz processor overclocked to over 2 Ghz stable, and it runs FSX flawlessly.

As for the video card? and Nvidia 7000 series card is good, but in order not to have future headaches, get a 8800 (DX-10 ready)series card.

So if you:

Increase the RAM to 3Gb or over.....

Either overclock or buy a 2+Ghz or faster processor....

and upgrade to a DX-10 ready video card....

....you can move all the graphic sliders in FSX to the right, add UTX (Ultimate Terrain X), add Active Sky X (or wait until Real Enviroment X comes out), and finally add an AI program (I use World of AI) to fill up your airports to enjoy all the eye candy with out a hiccup from your computer system. 😀

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

Cheeks wrote:

Hmm...I did look that closely before but now that you mention it...
Yeah, the box says you need a 1GB processor but the truth is, your computer is really struggling to work fast enough for this game. While we're talking about processor speed, when you run FSX, it's a good idea (for your slow processor) if you make sure you don't have any unecessary stuff running in the background (e.g. IM applications, etc.). Having some other cool stuff (e.g. Ventrilo, etc.) to chat in multiplayer sessions is cool...but it also takes up RAM and uses some processor resources. Shut down everything else that you don't need to safely run the computer and FSX...that way you'll lessen the burden on your processor.

This kind of stuff is why so many people run out and spend $400+ on an XBox 360 or Playstation3. They'd rather not have to figure out HOW to make it all work...they just want to open the box, plug it in, and play. But we're "pilots"...we LIKE having to figure out how to make it all work, that's the FUN part! 😉
That's why we fly sims while the other guys run around blasting Nazis in a FPS.

Pro Member First Officer

totallyfrozen wrote:

Cheeks wrote:

Yeah, the box says you need a 1GB processor but the truth is, your computer is really struggling to work fast enough for this game. While we're talking about processor speed, when you run FSX, it's a good idea (for your slow processor) if you make sure you don't have any unecessary stuff running in the background (e.g. IM applications, etc.). Having some other cool stuff (e.g. Ventrilo, etc.) to chat in multiplayer sessions is cool...but it also takes up RAM and uses some processor resources. Shut down everything else that you don't need to safely run the computer and FSX...that way you'll lessen the burden on your processor.

This kind of stuff is why so many people run out and spend $400+ on an XBox 360 or Playstation3. They'd rather not have to figure out HOW to make it all work...they just want to open the box, plug it in, and play. But we're "pilots"...we LIKE having to figure out how to make it all work, that's the FUN part! 😉

Lol, I LOVE flying sims and in a week or two, I'LL be running around blasting nazis and others on Xbox live when I get my Xbox 360 ;D

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

walesdragon wrote:

totallyfrozen wrote:

Cheeks wrote:

Lol, I LOVE flying sims and in a week or two, I'LL be running around blasting nazis and others on Xbox live when I get my Xbox 360 ;D

Im going to get COD 4 soon and play it at full settings on my 54" TV screen through my PC 😛 😛 😛

Pro Member First Officer

Cheeks wrote:

walesdragon wrote:

totallyfrozen wrote:

Cheeks wrote:

Im going to get COD 4 soon and play it at full settings on my 54" TV screen through my PC 😛 😛 😛

I too shall be getting COD4 on XBOX360. After Ace Combat 6 and Halo 3, obviously.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...