A long shot question....but.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

Is anyone familiar with the ATR 42-300 Denmark Package by Sánchez-Castañer. Its on AVSIM and seems a popular ATR model.

If not, My question might be answerable anyway by someone knowledgeable. Which is definately not me!! lol.

This model has a realistic 2D cockpit, layout almost matches the real thing, which is good I guess, just sadly im not at all familiar with the strange Autopilot layout.

The Autopilot (A/P) works fine in terms of navigating, but for altitude it has a ALT SE button?, but the increments seem to go up in single digits and is only a 3 digit field called ALT SE, not the familiar altitude selector knob I know.

The only way im getting the A/P to work at the moment is by using the A/P, VS button, I just set it to climb rate I want (fpm) and then keep an eye on the altitude manually.

Does anyone know how this works, or if anyone knows of a link that might explain this, I have heard a little search but can't find anything.
Other than that, the model is excellent. lol.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Someone may come along that has more knowledge on this than me but i think that's how it's supposed to work. I think i remember reading somewhere that it does'nt have the usual autopilot functions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

I was thinking of downloading that pakage but decided not to. I am trying to find a good ATR42 panel.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

VegasFlyer wrote:

I was thinking of downloading that pakage but decided not to. I am trying to find a good ATR42 panel.

I love the ATR's, I have not been able to find a better free one than the above, despite trying. The one I mentioned above from avsim, is probably not the best example. Flight dynamics seem a little off in my opinion, the panel is not the best. An the views of the First Officer in 2D panel view when you try to look out the starboad window, and the scenes from the cabin with flight attendants an passengers are a bit silly imo.

The A/P is very confusing, but I have almost figured it out. An the IAS button is some kind of speed/climb rate function of the A/P and not an auto-throttle function as I thought it would be.

Then again it is free, and its better than the Abacus "Fly the Airbus" fleet models that I actually purchased a while ago.

The above ATR is probably worth a try if you are curious. The airplane model itself is excellent, but yes the panel could be better..

So im mainly back to sim-flying a Fokker 50, and the trusty KingAir. 😳

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I am the invisible man! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Luke (warlord40) First Officer

What? 😳 .........Who said that?
OMG....that schooner of beer is drinking itself Fear

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Air-Head wrote:

VegasFlyer wrote:

I love the ATR's, I have not been able to find a better free one than the above, despite trying. The one I mentioned above from avsim, is probably not the best example. Flight dynamics seem a little off in my opinion, the panel is not the best. An the views of the First Officer in 2D panel view when you try to look out the starboad window, and the scenes from the cabin with flight attendants an passengers are a bit silly imo.

The A/P is very confusing, but I have almost figured it out. An the IAS button is some kind of speed/climb rate function of the A/P and not an auto-throttle function as I thought it would be.

Then again it is free, and its better than the Abacus "Fly the Airbus" fleet models that I actually purchased a while ago.

The above ATR is probably worth a try if you are curious. The airplane model itself is excellent, but yes the panel could be better..

So im mainly back to sim-flying a Fokker 50, and the trusty KingAir. 😳

I guess I should use Flight One ATR72 panel that I have. I'll see if I can upload it to rapidshare and post the link over here. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

[quote="VegasFlyer"][quote="Air-Head"]

VegasFlyer wrote:

I guess I should use Flight One ATR72 panel that I have. I'll see if I can upload it to rapidshare and post the link over here. 😉

Do you use the Flight One ATR 42 as the flyable model?

Pn that denmark package thing, I finally figured out the A/P, the ALT SEL knob is of course an altitude selector, it just threw me because its a three digit field.

Of course AL SEL 019 = 1,900 ft or AL SEL 210 = 21,000 ft.

Then you can choose how to get to that altitude by pressing either the VS button to set the climb rate. When it reaches altitude it automatically swtiches over to ALT (altitude hold). Or you can get to altitude by using the IAS mode, which sets the climb rate dependant on what air speed you are doing. Again it will flick over to ALT once height is reached.

The same applies to the descent, you just set the new AL SEL you want and down you go! Its actually very good.

Only problem I have found now with the model, is that its difficult to get back down to land once off autopilot, or down from your manual cruise height. You almost have to force it down, rather than gliding down. An seems a little unstable, i.e. Seems to be "porpoiseing" between climb an dive if your not careful on the control. Not sure if thats generic or the flight model is way offf. lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Air-Head wrote:

Only problem I have found now with the model, is that its difficult to get back down to land once off autopilot, or down from your manual cruise height. You almost have to force it down, rather than gliding down. An seems a little unstable, i.e. Seems to be "porpoiseing" between climb an dive if your not careful on the control. Not sure if thats generic or the flight model is way offf. lol

Set the stab trim properly; it sounds like you have it set to pitch nose up but are trying to pitch nose down.

Pro Member Trainee
Air-Head Trainee

99jolegg wrote:

Air-Head wrote:

Set the stab trim properly; it sounds like you have it set to pitch nose up but are trying to pitch nose down.

*cough cough cough* I knew that! I was going to try that next.... honest. 😉 Embarassed

THANKS!! sometimes its the simple things..... there was me blaming the flight model, and instead its the hair brain, controlling it at fault. No wonder it was porpoiseing, the nose was set high, and I was having to fight against it....lol. So completely obvious now!!!

In my defence, I had been flying the heavy metal around, where its just a case of setting data into FMC's and letting the A/P do all the work, apart from the last few hundred feet to land. Amazing how quickly you can forget the basics.....

Which is why I now love the twin turbo props, large enough to feel like heavy metal, but still very much hand flyable quite easily.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

[quote="Air-Head"][quote="VegasFlyer"]

Air-Head wrote:

VegasFlyer wrote:

Do you use the Flight One ATR 42 as the flyable model?

I've got FlightOne's ATR72 package. It looks real nice, very detailed model and ofcourse panel but I was lazy to take some time and learn the switches and knobs.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...