How 'bout the Early Days?

Pro Member Trainee
Mark (totallyfrozen) Trainee

OK, so I've seen in multiplayer there are a plethora of folks flying the big jumbo jets (74's etc.). I've seen a fair share of military aircraft too. Some twin engine Beeches and Leers, etc. Now, I mention multiplayer because that's the only place where I get to see what you others guys like to fly.

So I ask: Whether in multiplayer or single, do any of you guys like to fly the old vintage planes of WWI and the Early Days of aviation?

Although the newer planes have more power, more navigational aids, and better control; the Oldtimers can be fun too, and they offer a different view of the landscape too (a little lower, a little slower). I assume that if you like the ultralights, you'd probably like the antique aircraft too...but that's just a guess.

An example of one of my favorite vintage aircraft is here:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/95/fsx-historic-vintage-aircraft/

So whatchu got?

Who's flying what?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Concorde105 First Officer

OH! I like to fly the J-3 Jenny! And I also like to attempt to fly the Wright Flyer.

Pro Member Trainee

Concorde105 wrote:

OH! I like to fly the J-3 Jenny! And I also like to attempt to fly the Wright Flyer.

Yeah! I have both of those! The Wright Flyer is a bit difficult. Without any landing gear on it, I found it tricky to land without crashing it. So far, I haven't been able to land without crashing.

The Jenny is cool.
I also have the Vickers Vimy. That was a 2-seater WWI bomber that was converted to carry Air Mail after the war. It's a big twin-engine. It has a very slow climb and it's not very agile. It's LOUD too! 😀
http://www.military-aircraft.org.uk/bombers/vickers-vimy-bomber.htm

Last edited by Mark (totallyfrozen) on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Trainee
kin3 Trainee

Just DL'ed a B17 and it is fun to fly. I like to fly the old planes.

A B29 landed at our airport a few years back. Was from the Confederate Air force I think. But anyway we were allowed to go on the plane and look around. When I saw the cockpit I was surprised at the simple, and not many of them, instrument they flew with.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

FSX has a few older types that are fun to fly, Beaver, Goose and the DC3. Also the J3 cub is kinda neat as well.

Pro Member Trainee

7ECA-Captain wrote:

FSX has a few older types that are fun to fly, Beaver, Goose and the DC3. Also the J3 cub is kinda neat as well.

Yeah, the FSX Beaver's fun to fly if you enjoy making left turns. 😂
I have the Standard Edition so I don't get to fly the Grumman Goose (which totally bums me out because I really think sea planes cool!) 🙄
I like the Cub but I like the Super Cub (add-on) even better. Don't forget the Douglas DC-3. All those are "older" but I don't consider them to be from the "Early Days".
IMO, WWII brought us into the modern age of aviation. So, in my peronal opinion I consider the early days of aviation to be pre-WWII. But that's just one man's opinion.
Someone else might consider it to be prior to the Jet Age or prior to the Space Age. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Ok, if you like flying a sopwith camel.... I've only had the Beaver do the left hand wing low thing once in a while, otherwise it's not so bad. Only drawback is there are very few seaplane bases in FSX in canada alobg the BC coast, so you can't do much there with the Beaver. The Goose is great as it's an amphibian and flys pretty much like a real one. And it's a twin. I'd look at upgrading, or looking into a download as the goose is a lot of fun. I'm thinking the Golden age of Avition passed when you no longer had to Fly with a rudder. Some time when that Cessna guy invented the 172. In sometihng like the citabria you need to fly the airplane until it stops moving, and you need to be very aware of rudder and all control inputs, very much like any taildragger like the Beaver, Goose, Maule, Cub, or any of those real airplanes. We've lost a lot by designing aircraft to be so called idiot proof.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...