Help!! Vista 64 and FSX aren't compatible for me!

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

I can't even get it to install! The installshield wizard gives me an error almost immediately. Please help. I'm reading of people playing FSX with Vista 64 and loving it! I know about the compatibility wizard but I still can't get the game to install to even run under Windows XP!

Again, please help! What am I doing wrong? Would display drivers have anything to do with this? This is a brand new computer (I built it myself just this afternoon) and I can't get anything to play on it!!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Nick (truckernick) First Officer

Well first do your PC specs meet the games Reqs?

Do you have all the latest drivers, video drivers ect..?

And make sure there are no other programs running but what is needed well running the install wizard.

And maybe check your FS install disks maybe there scratched or smugged or somthing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

waterinthefuel wrote:

This is a brand new computer (I built it myself just this afternoon) and I can't get anything to play on it!!

If you can't get anything to play on it, how do you arrive at the conclusion that FSX and Vista 64 are not compatible?

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

It's a brand new machine. It's got an AMD quad core 2.5 processor, 8 gigs of RAM, a 1 TB hard drive and Vista 64.

I can't get FSX to install. The drives all work fine, I can't imagine what else to do.

I can't get anything (my games are all old) to INSTALL on it, so no, I can't get them to play on it either for obvious reasons.

Notice how I titled this thread, that they're not compatible FOR ME. I can see that others aren't having any problems with the two, but I sure am.

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

Update: I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card and tried out the FSX disk in the computer that works. The FSX disk works fine in the other computer.

No change. When it gets to the part and it says "preparing to install" the blue line goes about halfway to the right and stops and it brings up an error saying "installshield failed to operate" or something like that and gives me an error 1628, failed to install.

I ordered Windows XP. Screw vista. They'll take a software exchange so I'll go for it.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Did you read the spec requirements for FSX? Keep in mind that FSX was released before 64bit Vista was available to the public.....I think.

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

Before you go back to xp...

UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS!!!!!

The drivers off the cd's that came with your components have been sitting on the shelf for months, and even when the cd's were being printed the drivers weren't up to date because it takes time to get cd's made. You really want to go to the websites and get the up to date versions. The important drivers are your motherboard (you may have several, one for each part of the mobo, like the ethernet card and sound card) and your graphics card. Also, amd makes a multi-core optimization utility which may be worth looking into as well.

Pro Member Trainee
waterinthefuel Trainee

That's a good idea, where would I get drivers for an MSI motherboard? MSI's website? Yea I guess so huh?

Stupid question.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

WAIT......... HOLD UP!!!!!!

When you pu the Disc in go to Computer> Drive and RIGHT CLICK the icon. Go to EXPLORE and then find SETUP (setup launcher). Right click on that, go to the COMPATIBILITY TAB and select Windows XP SP2. Also select the Run As Administrator box too. That should get you installed I hope! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

waterinthefuel wrote:

That's a good idea, where would I get drivers for an MSI motherboard? MSI's website? Yea I guess so huh?

Stupid question.

If you didn't want help, why did you come asking for advice?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...