SearchSearch 

Help for the Lessons?

Guest

Hello guys! I'm newbie to flight simulation games. I just bought a saitek evo stick and flight simulator 2004. my english rn't that good but i keep on trying to understand most of what the teacher in lessons says.. Can u please tell if there's something like a guide or FAQ to read so as to complete all the lessons? i'm having so much trouble especially with vor, maintaining altitude,speed &turning.. i know i'm sooo newbie! yesterday it was my first day with the stick on my hands playing flight simulator!

any help will be appreciated &excuse me for my english!

20 Responses

Don Wood Guest

Welcome to the world of aviation. I recommend you use the lessons in FS9 the same way that real world pilots learn to fly. Take them one at a time, make sure you understand what needs to be done to accomplish the manuever, then practice each until you become proficient at it.

Don't worry that you have trouble holding heading, speed, or altitude at first. Every pilot has the same trouble. whether its in the simulator or in a real airplane. Even recency of experience is important. I notice when I fly my C-172, if I have flown recently, I can almost always hold heading, course, speed, and altitude precisely. If I haven't flown in two weeks or more, I find I am much less precise until I get back in the groove, usually after about an hour. You just have to fine tune your instincts so that making the tiny corrections necessary for precise flight are second nature.

n1k3man Guest

thanx don wood for your answer! what about this damn vor? how it is supposed to be used?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your English is fine, don't worry about it.
Try a site like this.
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/

Also look at a tutorial one of our members has here.
https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/
Good luck and above all just enjoy it.

Radar

Guest

great links radarman! i suppose i HAVE to study all this stuff so as to understand every single device in my student cessna.. it would be easier if the instructor explained everything..

two stupid questions:

1. when i'm climbing to 3,000ft for example i hold the stick back. as soon as i reach 3,000 i have to nose down in order to stabilize in 3,000 or just center the stick? i'm trying to know how can i manage my cessna to fly in a fixed altitude without using neither my stick nor the autopilot

2. can u please explain me [or give link] how TRIM is used? why trim exists anyway?? is it like the stick but only up&down?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

1. When you are approaching 3,000ft start lowering the nose a bit. If you exceed that altitude, pitch down just a little bit to reach your desired altitude. I would say you have to center the stick so it would be easier for you to reach the altitude you want. But if you exceed too much the altitude, lower the nose and so you can descend and center your airplane.

2. Trim is used to control the surfaces of airplanes. It helps you to climb without holding the stick. Trim exists to help the pilot climb easier the aircraft or land smoothly. It isn't just like a stick that goes up and down. It helps you control the aircraft easily.

If you don't understand the use of a certain gauge or instrument just ask and we'll help you. If you could take a picture of that gauge it will be easier for us. But you can describe it too and we'll help.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

great links radarman! i suppose i HAVE to study all this stuff so as to understand every single device in my student cessna.. it would be easier if the instructor explained everything..

two stupid questions:

1. when i'm climbing to 3,000ft for example i hold the stick back. as soon as i reach 3,000 i have to nose down in order to stabilize in 3,000 or just center the stick? i'm trying to know how can i manage my cessna to fly in a fixed altitude without using neither my stick nor the autopilot

2. can u please explain me [or give link] how TRIM is used? why trim exists anyway?? is it like the stick but only up&down?

I will attempt to answer the questions and in the process probably learn more from somebody more knowledgable. Starting with the second questin first.

2> Trim is used to maintain an aircraft in a desired attitude. You can trim for a climb, level straight flight, or decent. Imagin flying a craft that did not have trim you want to fly at a specified altitude and because of the way the carft is setup you have to push the stick forward. This isn't to bad you take off reach altitude and push the stick forward. Every thing is looking good. Now concider the flight is going to last 1 hour and 23 minutes that means you will have to fight the plane for that time to maintain the level flight. Idea Why don't we put small flaps in the wing that would adjust and we could use the air flow to help us hold the control in the right place.

1> Cosider taking off trimming the plane so that it is climbing at a desired climb rate. Now you can concentrate on maintaing the heading while you are climbing. Once you are at altitude adjust the elevator trim for level flight (you also have rudder trim and aliron trim) When it comes time to decend you decrease throttel and adjust trim for decent rate you desire. On the down wind leg reducting your speed lowering flaps and landing gear readjust trim for level flight. Then on final you use throttle and trim to achieve decent rate and go for a touch down at the desired location.

Happy landings 😀

Guest

lkw wrote:

Once you are at altitude adjust the elevator trim for level flight (you also have rudder trim and aliron trim) When it comes time to decend you decrease throttel and adjust trim for decent rate you desire. On the down wind leg reducting your speed lowering flaps and landing gear readjust trim for level flight. Then on final you use throttle and trim to achieve decent rate and go for a touch down at the desired location.

does the cessna has these other two trims? i mean rudder and aliron u said. what are they &where r they situaded on the cokpit?

now to my first question. let's suppose i want a level flight. WHERE do i set the trim so as the cessna to fly steadily on 3.000ft?? a bit up or a bit down? i suppose it is related to the amount of throttle right?

i'm glad to meet you guys, even from here! i'm Nick from Athens! over

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

If you don't understand something because of the English language, we have a gentleman here from Greece. His nickname is Greekman72. He can help you with the language. 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Anonymous wrote:

does the cessna has these other two trims? i mean rudder and aliron u said. what are they &where r they situaded on the cokpit?

now to my first question. let's suppose i want a level flight. WHERE do i set the trim so as the cessna to fly steadily on 3.000ft?? a bit up or a bit down? i suppose it is related to the amount of throttle right?

i'm glad to meet you guys, even from here! i'm Nick from Athens! over

The game has the other two trims but you won't find them on the panel of the Cessna, you will have to consult the control assignments to find out what keyboard commands trim those. I have never had to use them with the planes I fly.

Trimming for level flight is a matter of judgment. Notice on the Cessna the trim has a marking "TO". That is the take off position of the trim for the Cessna. When you take off and gain enough speed you can begin to center the stick and the plane will continue to climb. As I get close to the altitude I want I begin to cut the power back to cruise power and use trim to maintain the altitude. It is a matter of adjusting the trim until the plane will maintain level flight with the stick centered.

You will most likely have to make occasional adjustments of the trim from time to time to maintain level flight.

Don't be afraid to try what you feel you need to do, if you crash the only thing that gets hurt is your pride and it will recover.🙂

Guest

ok thanx a lot! i think i manage to maintain altitude and speed without the autopilot enabled 😂

now even though i don't want to ask questions all the time i'm having problems with steep turns at 45 degrees.. can someone tell me the proper way to make them AND having airspeed and altitude stable with the student cessna? i keep failing&failing in that part at the checkride..

and another thing about VORs.. let's suppose i tune in the VOR station. then what am i supposed to do?? where do i set the VOR1 obs? i'm so much complicated trying to follow a VOR course in the mist with that cessna.. can u make it simpler for me please?

i hope these questions will seem silly for me soon!

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

If you want to fly towards the VOR just tune the Nav1 or Nav2 standby frequency to the VOR frequency, then make it the active channel. You should here a morse code on the Nav radio identifying the VOR station. Adjust the ring on the Nav radio until the needle is centered and then change to that course. Keep the needle centered as you fly. If the needle drifts right adjust your course to the right, if it drifts left adjust your course to the left to keep the needle centered. VOR is pretty simple. The arrow on the nav radio tells you whether you are flying toward or from the VOR station.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

does the cessna has these other two trims? i mean rudder and aliron u said. what are they &where r they situaded on the cokpit?

now to my first question. let's suppose i want a level flight. WHERE do i set the trim so as the cessna to fly steadily on 3.000ft?? a bit up or a bit down? i suppose it is related to the amount of throttle right?

i'm glad to meet you guys, even from here! i'm Nick from Athens! over

Im here in case of you need help Nick.But anyway im not an expert in English language as Captain Agus have the kindnes to say ,neither in Fs too Embarassed .
But anyway i try to help you in case of you need it.Im happy to meet a man from Athens in Flyaway. 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Im here in case of you need help Nick.But anyway im not an expert in English language as Captain Agus have the kindnes to say ,neither in Fs too Embarassed .
But anyway i try to help you in case of you need it.Im happy to meet a man from Athens in Flyaway. 😉

Now how did you ever find this thread? ROFL

Since you speak the same language I thought you might be able to at least give him some pointers that he might better understand. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Im here in case of you need help Nick.But anyway im not an expert in English language as Captain Agus have the kindnes to say ,neither in Fs too Embarassed .
But anyway i try to help you in case of you need it.Im happy to meet a man from Athens in Flyaway. 😉

Now how did you ever find this thread? ROFL

Since you speak the same language I thought you might be able to at least give him some pointers that he might better understand. 🙂

Warhawk i know that you say something funny but i dont get it... Embarassed
Please can you explain me what do you mean? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Warhawk i know that you say something funny but i dont get it... Embarassed
Please can you explain me what do you mean? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I had called you to this plea for help on that other topic you had posted on, it was just a joke. I knew full well how you got here. Was it the word thread that confused you? On most places where I post when someone starts a topic it is called a thread.

As to the other part of my post I just thought since you and he spoke the same language and he was having trouble with English who better to help him than you. I know it would be impossible for me to figure out something in another language other than English. 🙂

Guest

ελα ρε πατριδα greekman! πως και απο δω?? 😀

hello again guys and sorry for the late answer, i had some problems with my motorcycle.. anywayz, i thing i'm going good with the lessons. I passed the first two checkrides and i'm very close to instrument and commercial checkrides but instead of trying them again & again i prefer to move forward to airline transport lessons. Boeing 737-400 seems quite easy when using the autopilot! The only problem i have in checkride is to precisely set the throttle to 95% during take off and then to 91% for climbing but not to exceed 250 knots.. how on earth did u manage this thing guys?

In general i've created my first 4-5 flights and i love to fly at night! i prefer IFR plan type because it's more realistic and of course i much appreciate the help given from control towers 😀

Another general problem i have is that of smooth landing. Only in 2-3 lessons i had really good landings. All other landings i make seem a bit abrupt almost like emergencies!! i align with runway at last moment..!
any advice on that?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

If you are landing too heavy your speed should be higher. If you are landing light your speed should be lower.

Every aircraft is different. And they have different landing speeds.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

Warhawk i know that you say something funny but i dont get it... Embarassed
Please can you explain me what do you mean? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I had called you to this plea for help on that other topic you had posted on, it was just a joke. I knew full well how you got here. Was it the word thread that confused you? On most places where I post when someone starts a topic it is called a thread.

As to the other part of my post I just thought since you and he spoke the same language and he was having trouble with English who better to help him than you. I know it would be impossible for me to figure out something in another language other than English. 🙂

Its ok WarHawk... 😉

ελα ρε πατριδα greekman! πως και απο δω??

Γεια και χαρα σου 😉 .Ανακατευομαι εδω και αρκετο καιρο σε αυτο το site και οι τυποι ειναι εξαιρετικοι καθως και το περιεχομενο. ❗

Σχετικα με τις....αναγκαστικες σου προσγειωσεις... 😉 κι εγω στην αρχη ειχα αυτα τα προβληματα ακομα και με Cesna ❗ ...αλλα στην πορεια και με εξασκηση τα ξεπερασα...Το βασικο σημειο που πρεπει να λαμβανεις υπ'οψειν σου ειναι να ευθυγραμιζεσαι με τον διαδρομο απο αρκετη αποσταση(σκεψου οτι στο παλιο καλο Ελληνικο τα περισσοτερα αρεοσκαφη περναν ευθυγραμμιση απο Αιγινα :!🙂και να κρατας την ''μυτη σου'' ψηλα και να μειωνεις ταχυτητα και Flaps σταδιακα. 😉

Θα χαρω πολυ να σε δω και μελος εδω μεσα.Ειναι εξαιρετικη παρεα με πολυ καλο επιπεδο γνωσεων και ατομων. 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

ελα ρε πατριδα greekman! πως και απο δω??

Γεια και χαρα σου 😉 .Ανακατευομαι εδω και αρκετο καιρο σε αυτο το site και οι τυποι ειναι εξαιρετικοι καθως και το περιεχομενο. ❗

Σχετικα με τις....αναγκαστικες σου προσγειωσεις... 😉 κι εγω στην αρχη ειχα αυτα τα προβληματα ακομα και με Cesna ❗ ...αλλα στην πορεια και με εξασκηση τα ξεπερασα...Το βασικο σημειο που πρεπει να λαμβανεις υπ'οψειν σου ειναι να ευθυγραμιζεσαι με τον διαδρομο απο αρκετη αποσταση(σκεψου οτι στο παλιο καλο Ελληνικο τα περισσοτερα αρεοσκαφη περναν ευθυγραμμιση απο Αιγινα :!🙂και να κρατας την ''μυτη σου'' ψηλα και να μειωνεις ταχυτητα και Flaps σταδιακα. 😉

Θα χαρω πολυ να σε δω και μελος εδω μεσα.Ειναι εξαιρετικη παρεα με πολυ καλο επιπεδο γνωσεων και ατομων. 😉

Now that's all greek to me. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Now that's all greek to me.

You are an expert in foreign languages my friend WarHawk. 😉 😂 😂 😂

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions