Aircraft overSpeed??

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Does anyone know why i am getting the message "OVERSPEED" on any aircrafts in fs04, although the aircraft is capable of fliying more than the speed, when the overspeed message appears.
For example : 747-400 is capable of fliying at 565 or so its says
I am getting the message "overspeed" at 365 or so

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
George Leach (CDR) First Officer

I'm not really sure but I know that under 10000 ft the FA requires aircraft not to exceed 250 knots normally.
With the ATC permission you can co over 250 knots that is probably put there for military aircraft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,
It is true that the 747-400 can do 565 mph. It says you are overspeed on the speed dial because that is in KIAS. The best way is to judge the mach speed also given, as the mach number given in the aircraft details will be the same in the aircraft, so you don't need to change it. When the mach number reaches .85 I think it is, at 30000 feet you will probably be doing 560 mph.
Hope it helps 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Thank you all for your responses. Please post anymore helpful information.
I found this convertion on a web site !

1 knot = 1.1507794 mile/hour

IS there anyway to know the aircraft speed in mph using the gauges in the airplane? is ther a downloadable guage?

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

The overspeed alert is tied to Indicated airspeed. At altitude i.e. 30000'+ even though your airspeed indicator might be saying 300 kts. you are actually going closer to 470-480 kts true. Remmember, your airspeed indicator essentially measures aerodynamic pressure, not true airspeed. It also gives you an idea of how much stress you are putting on the airframe. That is the limiting factor in flight. If you are flying at 300kts ias. at 35000' you are actually putting less stress on the craft than if you were going 350 kts ias. at 5000'. The overspeed alarm is there to keep you from tearing the airplane apart. If you look at any aircraft manual, there is a set of V speeds, Vr, Vx, Vy, Vme, Vmc,that's for twins, Vle, Vfe, Vno, and last but not least, Vne, also denoted by the red line on the airspeed indicator itself. It stands for velocity never exceed. To go beyond that speed risks airframe breakup in flight. That is the primary killer in inadvertant VFR entry into IFR conditions. The pilot who has no IFR training gets into a cloud or worse, gets disoriented, loses control and pulls the plane apart in a dive they don't know they're in, or when they pop out of the cloud close to the ground and tries to pull out of it too fast.

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

leadfoot wrote:

If you are flying at 300kts ias. at 35000' you are actually putting less stress on the craft than if you were going 350 kts ias. at 5000'.

I'm sure you meant that the other way around... 😉

Otherwise, it's back to ground school for me hehehe.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

nope, he's right, looks like its back to skool for you. Reason being, the air is thinner up there than it is down here, so that equates to less stress on the airframe 😀

Pro Member Trainee
Quamar Trainee

fire emblem master, you do also have to take in account of the fact that the higher you go, the greater the pressure difference in the surrounding atmosphere, therefore more air needs to be bled from the engines into the cabin to maintain the correct cabin pressure, therefre putting more stress on the aircraft the higher one goes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Quamar wrote:

fire emblem master, you do also have to take in account of the fact that the higher you go, the greater the pressure difference in the surrounding atmosphere, therefore more air needs to be bled from the engines into the cabin to maintain the correct cabin pressure, therefre putting more stress on the aircraft the higher one goes.

Welcome to the forums Quamar! Fire emblem master has left the forum long time ago and please don't answer posts that are 4 years old! Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

LOOK WHO CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!! 😀

hows it going man....

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

LOOK WHO CAME BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!! 😀

hows it going man....

Who came back from the dead???

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

been gone for a while.......didnt call didnt write.....cmon man work with me here...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...